Interview tonight in a practice

Options
sazrah
sazrah Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
Hi Guys

I have an interview tonight as a Trainee Accountant. I'm not very good at interviews as I get so nervous, I'm shaking already and I'm not there until 6.30pm hehe.

I really want this job, its's the first vacancy I have seen in a practice and have managed to get an interview. Does anyone have any advice on what questions may be asked or what they may want to know from me so I can try and prepare as I am totally blank.

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Just be yourself.

An interview is a mutual thing - do you want to work for them as well as do they want you. You are interviewing and assessing them at the same time as them interviewing you.

If you are enthusiastic, that is always a good thing. Also remember to think of what you can do for them. They want to take on someone who can be an asset to their business and help them make money. So it's great for you to say "I really want this job because I really want to get into practice" but make sure you add how that enthusiasm will help them: you will be reliable, attack all tasks with gusto and attention to detail, you're willing to do all sorts of tasks as you are eager to learn, etc.

While hopefully they are nice people who want you to enjoy your job too, ultimately, they want you because you will make them money, so always make sure you say what you have to say in a way that shows how you can benefit them.

Above all, be yourself, don't rehearse lines too much. Being genuine is much better than effectively reading from a script.

When in doubt, try the age-old thing of imagining them sitting their in their undies or silly clothes, if that will help put you a bit more at ease (and not give you a giggling fit!)! :lol:

Best of luck!!
  • sazrah
    Options
    Thanks Monsoon, I shall bear those points in mind :)

That has already got me giggling so hopefully I won't think of it tonight and have to explain why I am laughing hehe.
  • oli
    oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I agree with Monsoon, just be yourself :-)

A major plus point is that you are doing/done your AAT, or am I wrong? Any reason for the evening interview?
  • sazrah
    Options
    Hi Oli

I have just taken my last exam for AAT, paper based financial statements (which I think went very well actually :D).

The reason for the evening interview is they emailed me on Thursday asking if I could come in at 3.30pm today but because there is no chance I can get out of work, (my boss and his family have gone on holiday, leaving us with 2 staff instead of 6) I explained this and they have asked me to go at 6.30pm tonight. Which I'm taking to be a good sign? : )
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I think its a good sign - twofold:

1. They want to see you enought that they are scheduling an out-of-hours interview
    2. They are flexible. Having an employer who is flexible comes in handy.
  • sazrah
    Options
    This is what I thought. I just need to try and steady my nerves now. For some reason, with interviews and my driving tests, I can't control my nerves, to the point the doctor gave me betablockers for heart attack patients for my final driving test. I'm already having palpatations and have been sick also.

Just trying to get myself in the right frame of mind now as I am not normally this nervous in day to day things and I wouldn't want them thinking I am this wreck of a person all the time :)
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I think any sensible interviewer would accept someone in interview to be a bit more nervous than they would be every day and take that into account.

What about interviews makes you nervous? I find positive affirmation works for me. "I am confident, this interview will go well," etc. Not "I am not nervous" as your attention is still focused on nervousness, but focus on positive thoughts and feelings. Imagine yourself going into the interview and being at your most confident, relaxed, it goes well etc. Then tell yourself that will be you this evening. Also, never say " I can't control my nerves" again - if that's what you believe, then it will more likely be true. ;)

If you can, go for a run or something an hour or so before to burn off some physical energy - might leave a bit less left over for any tension.

If you're being sick etc then what I've just said might not make a lot of difference, but it might help - can but try it!

Good luck, you will be just fine.
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck, how exciting!
  • sazrah
    Options
    Well interview went well, very well :), the interviewer helped me a lot and I would really like to work with them. It's a shame about the pay cut but I was expecting it and worth it in the long run I guess. I really hope I get the job as its the step into accounts I've been waiting so long for.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    sazrah wrote: Β»
    Well interview went well, very well, the interviewer helped me a lot and I would really like to work with them. It's a shame about the pay cut but I was expecting it and worth it in the long run I guess. I really hope I get the job as its the step into accounts I've been waiting so long for.

Good!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :)
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Good luck ! Let us know how you got on :)
  • sazrah
    Options
    Thank you guys I will :). I can't stop checking my emails. Patience is not one of my strong points lol.
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Good luck! :)
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Keeping everything crossed for you x:001_smile:
  • AmyRichardson
    AmyRichardson Registered Posts: 89 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Good luck........... :D really hope u get it.

I have an interview with a chartered acccountants up the road from where I live.

Eventually want to set up my own practice so if i do get the job then the experience will help alot, even if i have to take a paycut!! currently in industry
  • sazrah
    Options
    Still waiting, heard today that a decision has been made and there will no longer be any 2nd interviews and I will get an email when the boss gets back from a conference. So hopefully I shall know by tomorrow :). I've been so impatient, I convinced myself yesterday I didn't have it and ended up in floods of tears at home, stupid I know.

This is what I would like to do also Amy, eventually, good luck with yours too.
  • sazrah
    Options
    Hi,

Guess what.....I got the job whoop!!!! :D. Absolutely thrilled, feels like my hard work with AAT has finally paid off and I'm heading in the right direction to where I want to be.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    sazrah wrote: Β»
    Hi,

Guess what.....I got the job whoop!!!! :D. Absolutely thrilled, feels like my hard work with AAT has finally paid off and I'm heading in the right direction to where I want to be.

Awesome! That's amazing news, I'm delighted for you !!
  • sazrah
    Options
    Thank you :D I am so excited to start.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Fantastic news ! Well done :)

I need some "getting a job" mojo coming my way because my maternity leave/3 month internship and internship end in the coming month and I have no job lined up yet. ULP.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Comgratulations and good luck!!
Privacy Policy