Dumb question - CT refund for prior year

Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Loss this year, carried back against profits from last year.

Am I going mad, or do I have to write in to the tax office to get this paid? I know there's a "repayment due for prior period" boxto check on the CT600 but there's not a "repay this amount from last year" box, is there?

Thanks! :o

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    write to them and ask for it, thats what we did.
    Guest Registered Posts: 73 Regular contributor ⭐
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Loss this year, carried back against profits from last year.

Am I going mad, or do I have to write in to the tax office to get this paid? I know there's a "repayment due for prior period" boxto check on the CT600 but there's not a "repay this amount from last year" box, is there?

Thanks! :o

Revise the pervious CT600 - Box 30
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Write to request refund with revised tax calcs.

Few months later write again.

About a year later ring to be told the accounts have been filed but nobody has dealt with the refund.

Not that I'm bitter but is anyone else fed up with HMRC at the moment and don't even get me started on reclaiming overpayments on P35 due to CIS deductions suffered.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I did one recently - Filed short CT return Mid Feb this year online, ticked 'a repayment is due for an earlier period', made sure client's bank details were included and that was it.

Didn't need to do anything else, received written confirmation that the refund was being made to client's bank account.

It was my first iXBRL submission too - very pleased with self, nice when that happens.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    groundy wrote: »

Not that I'm bitter but is anyone else fed up with HMRC at the moment and don't even get me started on reclaiming overpayments on P35 due to CIS deductions suffered.

Yes, a client submitted their own P35 on 20th April & has been told repayment will be made in September!!!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thanks all.

Glad I'm not going (any more) mad and there isn't an obvious box I missed!

I was going to say writing in would be easier but as I don't have to submit iXBRL for the prior period I guess resubmitting last year's would actually be easy - and the refund will be done quicker than a letter.

Same client actually - due a hefty PAYE refund - took MONTHS to sort out. If a PAYE overpayment is more than £500, you can't write to the Accounts Office, but have to write direct to the tax office. After my coleague wrote to the AO, they didn't tell us they couldn't do anything with it until we phoned months later to chase. Oh, and the AO were taking 3-4 months to deal with post at that point!!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    groundy wrote: »
    Write to request refund with revised tax calcs.

About a year later ring to be told the accounts have been filed but nobody has dealt with the refund.

To that I would add..

Try calling Euston Tax Office every day for a week where no-one picks up the phone..

Try sending faxes to the same office where I'm sure the shredder sits underneath the fax machine..

No fun!
Privacy Policy