New client - power of attorney

Options
Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I've been approached by a potential new client who is POA for her brother following a motorbike accident which has left him seriously ill and in care. I was a little unsure as to what she required but I've now established she needs a summary of all the receipts she has collected which the court can inspect.

Now, this makes me a little nervous. It sounds quite straightforward, but is there anything I should be aware of? I will be having her sign a disclaimer on anything that may be seen by the court similar to a proprietors approval of accounts but is there anything else I should do?

Thanks

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    If you've seen the legal document that gives her PoA, and taken ID for her, I would then view it as a normal client in all other respects.

I would indeed get disclaimers. As long as you cover yourself, I don't see a problem. Just be aware of anything "funny" and keep an extra eye out I guess, and don't forget responsibilities under MLR.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Thanks Monsoon, I have taken ID for her but I wasn't sure if I should get a copy of ID for her brother as well. What do you think? I've tailored my Letter of Engagement and that's gone out. Not sure how else I can cover myself really!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I would take ID for the sister and a copy of the PoA. I don't think I would take ID for the brother - though if she can get it without too much hassle it would be belt and braces?
Privacy Policy