Anti *****

Options
*Jo
*Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi,

Mine is up for renewal and i'm currently using McAfee. My other halfs parents currently use free ones but have recently had a ***** that meant me and other half were up after midnight fixing for them so i've recommended they get a full paid for version.

Any ideas whats the best on the market at the moment? I'm quite happy with McAfee but up for other suggestions.

Thanks all.

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Try microsoft security essentials, I've started using in on a couple of machines after AVG free got a few viruses.

ps microsoft security essentials is free!
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I also use microsoft security essentials. I did try norton 360 because my parents had a spare user but the amount it slowed my computer down was ridiculous so I got rid.

No problems with microsoft security essentials so far.
  • *Jo
    Options
    Thanks for the replys so far. I;ll look into that Microsoft one but to be honest I'm thinking a paid for top of the range option might be best for them as they really "haven't a clue" about computers (their words not mine). I don't think I fancy spending another evening fixing :)

Just come back on here and relised the good old AAT filter has decided that V.I.R.U.S. is a dirty word and now it looks like im anti stars lol.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    if you bank with hsbc i think you get mcaffee for free. if not i've heard avast is good
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    NOD ESET Smart Security for me.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Learn how to download torrents, never pay for PC software again.

I like NOD ESET myself too. :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Makkusu wrote: Β»
    Learn how to download torrents, never pay for PC software again.

Terrible advice. With all the paranoia currently surrounding software, music and movie theft, if you don't want a warning letter from your ISP or the boys in blue knocking on your door, stay away from illegal downloading. You're unlikely to ever be caught but if you are, the fines can be horrific (literally into millions!):

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-06-18/justice/minnesota.music.download.fine_1_jury-instructions-fined-sheryl-crow?_s=PM:CRIME

The February 2011 issue of Computer Shopper recommended AVG Free 2011 edition as the best free anti-v.i.r.u.s. program while stating Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security 2011 as the best paid for full security suite @ Β£23 per year for three computers. I tried Avast once but soon got rid of it for being too hungry on system resources.

Personally, I've been using AVG free for over ten years and never had a v.i.r.u.s. yet so can't see the need to ever buy one.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Personally, I've been using AVG free for over ten years and never had a v.i.r.u.s. yet so can't see the need to ever buy one.

I work half in IT, I've used AVG on computers I can legally put it on, for a good few years now without problem. This year though its been less than useless, amount of time I've spent cleaning up Pc's with AVG on has been high.

It was an IT person that had exactly the same experience as me and recommened MS Security Essentials.

I've seen them both at the top of different reviewers lists, I don't see how you can review v i r u s software though, you get a much better feel by supporting a number of machines with it on.

Ps. I'm always reluctant to use MS, but not had a problem with any of the machines running MSE!
  • *Jo
    Options
    Thanks again for all the input. Seems its down to personal choice and/or expertise at using these programs.

They do bank with HSBC which prompted me to tell them about the free McAfee but they don't use internet banking which to be honest I think is a good thing seeing how again last night I was there resetting the machine to factory settings and now have to go over again at some point to re-instore software for them.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will have a google of them all and try and pick one to suggest :)
  • *Jo
    Options
    *Jo wrote: Β»
    Thanks again for all the input. Seems its down to personal choice and/or expertise at using these programs.

They do bank with HSBC which prompted me to tell them about the free McAfee but they don't use internet banking which to be honest I think is a good thing seeing how again last night I was there resetting the machine to factory settings and now have to go over again at some point to re-instore software for them.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will have a google of them all and try and pick one to suggest :)

Sorry that should have said thanks for all the LEGAL!! suggestions.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I use AVG internet security package with Firewall, I used to use the free one but changed to the paid for one a couple of years ago. I still have no problems with it.
  • Luby
    Luby Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Ive always used norton360 - didnt slow my pc down but i guess it is just personal preference.

Work's computers use AVG and havent experienced problems either
  • katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I use avg free - latest updates for av
    and malware malbytes for - well malware lol.

seems to be ok :)
  • Craig9
    Craig9 Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Only thing that irritates me about AVG free at the moment is that every time I turn the PC on it is updating and causing my fan to go bananas and I end up just turning the PC off due to the noise. Though it is about five years old now....maybe need to invest in a new one.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Craig9 wrote: Β»
    Though it is about five years old now....maybe need to invest in a new one.

Not so much the age, it more depends if you're computer savvy and know how to modify the Windows start up options. If you don't - and after five years I'd imagine you've installed a fair bit of software, especially if you've never reinstalled a clean, lean Windows every so often - chances are you've got masses of unnecessary programs booting up when Windows starts, not just AVG.
Privacy Policy