AAT regulators

goldring
goldring Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
While doing the project for internal control & accounting system, this question pops up:
who regulates the AAT?
As a student member, I suppose it is also in our own interests to know who can tell AAT off if it was in the wrong?
Anyone any idea?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    AAt is sponsored by some of the CCAB bodies but I didn't think they regulated it. Don't know!
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Um I've no idea, but Wiki tells me the following.

AAT is recognised as a professional qualification by the Department of Trade and Industry in the UK

so other than the accounancy bodies already mentioned perhaps the DTI ? Just a guess though ! I'd be interested to hear the answer when you find out :)
  • daniella75
    daniella75 Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Professional accounting bodies including the AAT are regulates by the Financial Reporting Council (FRC) which is made up of a number of different operating bodies:
    - Accounting Standars Board (ASB) - responsible for issuing accounting standards
    - Auditing Practice Board (APB) - provides auditing standards and guidance
    - Professional Oversight Board (POB) - provides independent oversight of the regulation of the accountancy and auditing professions
    - Financial Reporting Review Panel (FRRP) - works to ensure the annual accounts of public companies and large private companies comply with relevant accounting requirements
    - Accountancy & Actuarial Discipline Board (AADB) - responsible for operating and administering an independent disciplinary scheme for members of a number of professional accountancy bodies.
  • goldring
    I will be interested to see an official answer to it.
    I think while studing the ICAS, it would be helpful if we understand AAT and especially relating to the criterias outlined by the AAT, it would be particular helpful for those who do not work, and make some part of the project easier to understand and carrying out researches. don't you think?
  • Lee Maidment
    Lee Maidment Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    In terms of the AAT qualifications, AAT is regulated by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).

As AAT is a charity and also a company limited by guarantee, it also has to adhere to Companies and Charity law, so is also regulated by the Charities Commission and Companies House.
  • goldring
    In terms of the AAT qualifications, AAT is regulated by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation).

As AAT is a charity and also a company limited by guarantee, it also has to adhere to Companies and Charity law, so is also regulated by the Charities Commission and Companies House.

I never knew AAT is also a charity, and a limited company as well.
    thanks.
  • goldring
    i just went on the Companies House website to have a look,
    interestingly there are two registered:
    1. the association of accounting technician
    2. association of accounting technician educational trustees limited (the)

And did have a look at the AT magazine, and it states it's a charity and company ltd by guarantee .
  • goldring
    also popped to the charity commision website, more info
Privacy Policy