Starting Level 4

Options
adiba
adiba Registered Posts: 53 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi guys

I'm new to the forum, just finished my Level 3 under the old standards, so glad its over! I did both Level 2 and 3 at a local college however, due to a MASSIVE increase in fees I'm thinking of doing Level 4 through distance learning. However, when I mentioned this to my tutor at college, she said that she doesnt think its such a good idea as Level 4 is quite challenging as it is so basically, I'm in two minds now. I know it's going to be difficult to find the time to study etc especially with a 8 month old baby and looking to get back into work but at the end of the day, money dicates lol and do I really want to be paying loadsa extra money just to sit in a classroom for 6 hours a week? I had quite a lot of time off during my Level 3 due to having baby etc and managed to catch up just fine by studying at home so I do think I'll be able to do it, just going to have to be mega organised and stay motivated! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hi welcome to the forum! I was exactly the same as you done level 3 at college and then because of price and the college hours for level 4 i couldnt fit it around my family (I have a 5yr & 3yr) i decided to do the level 4 from home as distance learner! It is tough at times but i study most evenings when the kids are in bed and just really motivate myself to get it done and think of the end result! It is possible you just have to push yourself! I also work part-time aswell, so it can be done! Good luck :)
  • adiba
    Options
    aw thank you, i feel so much better knowing that other people have been in the same situation and have got through it, just shows it can be done! I'll probably have to study after little ones bedtime aswell, too busy running around after her during day to get anything done! Next step is to decide which distance learning provider to go with as I'm v.stuck with that, any suggestions?
  • Becky V
    Options
    I have gone with Kaplan, and so far they have been really good, but others may disagree! I chose Kaplan as their centre is near by for me to sit the exams and also i have bought a unit at a time. Which means i study for only one unit sit the exam and then when i feel ready to move on start the next one. It spreads the costs and not to much pressure if you are focused on one unit!
  • Sally5065
    Sally5065 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,

I've completed the old standards level 3 through distance learning with Premier Training. I have recently started my level 4.

I have 3 lively boys but as Becky said I study in the evening or at weekends.

I fing Premier very approachable but I do have to find a centre to sit my exams.

Hope this helps!!!

Sally
  • GreenMousey
    GreenMousey Registered Posts: 154 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hey,

I'd take what your college tutor said with a pinch of salt, they're after results and are monitored on performance too. I completed level 2 at college, level 3 distance learning and now I've just two more exams to go on level 4 through home learning.

If you can find the quality time to study and set yourself a realistic shedule then it's more than achievable!! Good luck :)
  • adiba
    Options
    Hi Guys

Thanks v.much for your replies. You're probably right about my tutor, the college was worried about losing students as alot of us made it clear that there wasn't much chance of us returning with the fees shooting up like that, went up to Β£1300 +textbooks + exam fees. Think I'm leaning more towards Kaplan at the moment mainly for the same reason as Becky, they have a centre quite near to me which would make it handy for exams, also used Kaplan textbooks previously so am familiar with layout etc. Will hopefully be starting within next month or so and thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    adiba wrote: Β»
    Hi Guys

Thanks v.much for your replies. You're probably right about my tutor, the college was worried about losing students as alot of us made it clear that there wasn't much chance of us returning with the fees shooting up like that, went up to Β£1300 +textbooks + exam fees. Think I'm leaning more towards Kaplan at the moment mainly for the same reason as Becky, they have a centre quite near to me which would make it handy for exams, also used Kaplan textbooks previously so am familiar with layout etc. Will hopefully be starting within next month or so and thanks to everyone for all your help and advice!

You may find that you can sit the exam with Kaplan as an external candidate, you don't necessarily have to be one of their students. This would mean that you could choose any distance learning provider.
  • susiewong
    susiewong Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi, i've done all 3 levels via Kaplan distance learning, and I've had no problems with them, until the ICAS report which I think all providers are struggling with due to the change in qualification.

I started level 4 in November and had completed and passed all the exams by May, whilst working full time and a family. All I can say is if you are self motivated and plan your time it's definitely achievable. Level 4 cost Β£684 + Β£35 per CBA, this will have increased but certainly not as much as attending college.

Good luck with level 4

Susie
  • adiba
    Options
    Thanks for that, just spoke to Kaplan and signed up with them so hopefully should receive my books soon and can get started!
  • Becky V
    Options
    adiba wrote: Β»
    Thanks for that, just spoke to Kaplan and signed up with them so hopefully should receive my books soon and can get started!

Which unit are you starting first? Good luck!
  • adiba
    Options
    not sure to be honest but because I'm feeling very motivated at the moment :) i want to make the most of it and start on a difficult unit, any suggestions as to which unit I should get out the way first? Ideally I want to make a start on the mandatory units first and then go on to the optional ones and hopefully keep working on the project as I go along
  • susiewong
    susiewong Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi, I was a bit sad when I got my books as I was really excited and couldn't wait to get started!!!! I went for financial statements first, there's definitely a lot to learn and plenty to get your teeth into!!! I sat budgeting and then financial performance very close together as they were very similar, then last but not least business tax, unfortunately I left my project till last and now have a fight on my hands to get Kaplan to Mark it before end of July!!!!

It would be a good idea to work on your project as you go along as it's not easy, or I certainly didn't find it easy, better with numbers than words!!!!

You definitely sound motivated so good luck
  • adiba
    Options
    Thanks susiewong, think I will be going for financial statements first as there definitely does seem a lot to learn in that one. Am slightly worried about project though, think I might find it difficult but I'll see how it goes. Hope Kaplan get it marked on time for you!
Privacy Policy