Options
Paul C
Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰

Comments

• andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I believe its so high because it includes professional indemnity insurance etc which the others dont include.

If its the one im thinking of they have just had some problems recently and i believe a lot of the people in charge had to resign etc. May not be the one im thinking of but if you were thinking of joining id do plenty of research just in case. Im not sure whether they are recognised for money laundering purposes either
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I think it's relatively unknown in the UK. Looks like they are trying to break into the UK Market; I would wait a good few years yet before they are worth considering (especially with the high fees which even taking into account the PII are incredibly high) though it ould be nice to know what a 'suitable non chartered association' is - may be worth the AAt getting recognised by them for future use?
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    What about Certified Practicing Accountants?

Sorry if I am interepting in the middle.

Very interesting conversation.

Any feedback on this Lincence- certified practicing accountants?

Regards,
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Surely we already have too many accounting bodies in the UK.
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Is it not the American version of CPA that CIMA have left the CCAB to get into bed with?
  • Paul C
    Options
  • Paul C
    Options
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I wonder if HMRC will recognise their qualificstions if they decide to insist tax agents have a formal accountancy qualifcation.

Why would anyone want to join an association no-one appears to know anything about? Who also happen to charge extortionate membership fees into the bargain.
  • Paul C
    Options
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I am all for 'trade associations' rather than professional bodies that are set up to help QBE accountants that are not prepared to sit exams. I think it serves both the accountants and the public interest well.

My only bugbear is the letters they all use to try and convince the general public that they are something they are not. ICPA (Institute of Certified Practising Accountants) is the largest body in the UK for QBEs and does a very good job but they obviously added the 'Certified' part in their name purely to give weight to their membership and, perhaps, fool potential clients that they are certified accountants.

CPA UK is jumping on that bandwagon and are hoping that CPA (the US version of a Chartered Accountant) will gain more global recognition and in turn fool potential clients into thinking members of the UK body are somehow affiliated.
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    So which one you prefer if somebody wants to join in any of these two?

Since β€œCertified” is mentioned for both bodies, I think it will be advantage for some competitive area such as London.

Certified Practising Accountants
    Certified Public Accountants (CPAUK)

If somebody wants to join any of the above, what would be your recommendations?

Regards,
Privacy Policy