I'm not competent!

Options
2ยป

Comments

• Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Level 2 for me too.

I had a go because I didn't believe you could all do so badly, and wanted to see what it was all about. Got four greens and an amber on double entry bookkeeping.

Weren't some of the questions odd? Suspense account indeed!!! Reminded me of doing exams, and having to read the questions 5 times with the clock ticking away.

My favourite bit was the comment in the results email 'At this level you'll start to develop your skills in double entry bookkeeping and gain a grasp of management and administrative processes.'

And here's me thinking 20 years' experience, AAT, ACCA, a diploma in management and copious amounts of CPD were enough.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    And here's me thinking 20 years' experience, AAT, ACCA, a diploma in management and copious amounts of CPD were enough.

Clearly not :lol:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I had a go because I didn't believe you could all do so badly

Bwahahahahaha :D

I've emailed this thread to membership support because I think it's worth bringing to their attention.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I had a go because I didn't believe you could all do so badly, and wanted to see what it was all about. Got four greens and an amber on double entry bookkeeping.

Me too, it's a worry because I do manual and computerised bookkeeping along with the rest of my day job and I had always considered myself at being good at double entry.

Oh dear!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Me too, it's a worry because I do manual and computerised bookkeeping along with the rest of my day job and I had always considered myself at being good at double entry.

Oh dear!!

I don't think it should be a worry, BW.

I consider myself very good at double entry bookkeeping, and this test hasn't changed that opinion. Likewise you know in yourself that you are good at what you do.

I don't think the questions on the skills check bear any resemblance to the things we all do in our day jobs and I think that is the main discovery of this exercise that we've all contributed to, not that any of us aren't any good. The title of this thread was meant to be flippant, I don't consider myself incompetent and neither should anyone else on this thread.

By the very nature of real world vs exam questions, there will always be limitations in the way exam/ test questions can be asked. They are theoretical - real life is practical. In the real world we can see the control accounts, can see what's been posted, and it's just intuitive and a series of processes that make us fix any mistakes, or clear anything down. Those questions were totally the opposite, pure theory which - when we don't work with theory and principles, we work with and manipulate real data - is understandably confusing, and that is reflected in the results of everyone on this thread.

If the questions on that test were indicative of the new CBAs vs the old paper exams I sat, I can well understand why people have been grumbling about the format totally changing. We never had anything like those questions at level 3, they were far more practical (as in, you got to play with numbers and work solutions out) than the "theory" questions on the test.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options

By the very nature of real world vs exam questions, there will always be limitations in the way exam/ test questions can be asked. They are theoretical - real life is practical. In the real world we can see the control accounts, can see what's been posted, and it's just intuitive and a series of processes that make us fix any mistakes, or clear anything down. Those questions were totally the opposite, pure theory which - when we don't work with theory and principles, we work with and manipulate real data - is understandably confusing, and that is reflected in the results of everyone on this thread.

Agree with you. And also I don't normally watch Grand Designs while working, but I did while doing the test.

I've now noticed that more and more websites I visit are showing ads for the AAT qualification. I know it's just the cookie things and web bots doing their bit, but still... is it coincidence?
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I rushed through it only to find green on 4 and amber on double entry book keeping, lol. I only finished last year too. So level 2 for me too!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Yippee, I get to start at Level 3. Does that make me the only one so far?

I got green for everything except amber for IT. I got 26/30 right, although they claim I got the variance question wrong which I know I didn't because I went back and changed it to the right answer.

I didn't think any of the double entry questions were difficult, they all needed thinking about but shouldn't be beyond anyone. I'm from the old school though that was brought up to do everything manually, I find it helps enormously to have a good grip on double entry so that you can make the right corrections when things go wrong on the computer as they invariably do. I guess I'm a dying breed :-(
  • jow774
    Options
    coojee wrote: ยป
    I didn't think any of the double entry questions were difficult, they all needed thinking about but shouldn't be beyond anyone. I'm from the old school though that was brought up to do everything manually, I find it helps enormously to have a good grip on double entry so that you can make the right corrections when things go wrong on the computer as they invariably do. I guess I'm a dying breed :-(

Or we just didnt take it seriously enough probably, lol. Well done go to the top of the class! Or to Level 3, lol.
  • coojee
    Options
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    Or we just didnt take it seriously enough probably, lol. Well done go to the top of the class! Or to Level 3, lol.

Well it could have been that, I do take my DE very seriously!
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Yay I can start on level 3 as well, 5 greens, only 2 questions wrong. I'm really pleased with that! :-)

What strange questions though, the ones at the beginning are very random and the double entry ones certainly take some thinking about, they remind me of what the level 3 exams were like.

When I started AAT I had very little accounting knowledge or experience but my tutor agreed I could start on level 3 because I had A Levels and felt as though I was good at picking things up quickly. She said it would be easier to drop down a level if I found it too tricky than to start at level 2 and move up if it was too easy. But I wouldn't have been able to answer any of these questions before I started so apparently I should've started at level 2!

Just goes to prove how much of the information we actually need to successfully do our jobs ..... Interesting thread, thanks Monsoon.
  • Bluewednesday
    Options

I got green for everything except amber for IT. I got 26/30 right, although they claim I got the variance question wrong which I know I didn't because I went back and changed it to the right answer.

I actually only got 3 wrong in total but still got an amber (2 in double entry)!

I fully agree that double entry is essential and I still do know mine - I use it every day.

I found that degree candidates got exempted from the lower level ACCA exams and didn't know double entry when they got to the later papers - they really suffered whereas the AAT students knew double entry backwards!

So in essence, I don't think you are a dying breed, maybe better at interpreting questions that me lol
  • Fattu
    Fattu Registered Posts: 10 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Woohoo! 5 greens and 3 incorrect answers. Well chuffed :-D

Now if I just had a job in accounts it would all be worth it.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options

I must be one of the dying breed as well as I was brought up doing all my accounts manually with the old twinlock day books, VAT book, Ledger and cashbooks. Yet I got red on my double entry, probably because I avoid suspense accounts likethe plague if at all possible.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    The worrying thing is, thats only a pre AAT entry test! Imagine trying to site actual 3 hour 15 min exams again.....
  • coojee
    Options
    I must be one of the dying breed as well as I was brought up doing all my accounts manually with the old twinlock day books, VAT book, Ledger and cashbooks. Yet I got red on my double entry, probably because I avoid suspense accounts likethe plague if at all possible.

Now you see, I don't get what the problem is with suspense accounts, they're just another ledger account as far as I'm concerned. Is it a bit like kids being scared of Maths because someone told them that Maths is difficult so they go into thinking they're not going to understand it?

I used a suspense account right from the start when posting a bank account for unidentified payments and receipts, then as and when I found out what they were I journalled them out of suspense. I guess that was a more gentle introduction to them, I can't remember ever using them because a TB didn't balance. My TB's never balanced first time round so I'd pencil in the difference but then I'd just go back and check all my figures again as it was always because I'd added something up wrong, there were never the kind of errors that come up in the exam type questions.
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    Now you see, I don't get what the problem is with suspense accounts, they're just another ledger account as far as I'm concerned. Is it a bit like kids being scared of Maths because someone told them that Maths is difficult so they go into thinking they're not going to understand it?

I used a suspense account right from the start when posting a bank account for unidentified payments and receipts, then as and when I found out what they were I journalled them out of suspense. I guess that was a more gentle introduction to them, I can't remember ever using them because a TB didn't balance. My TB's never balanced first time round so I'd pencil in the difference but then I'd just go back and check all my figures again as it was always because I'd added something up wrong, there were never the kind of errors that come up in the exam type questions.

Agreed, I only use suspense to put unknown things in until they are checked with the client.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Agreed, I only use suspense to put unknown things in until they are checked with the client.

It is not that they are a scary thing I still use them for unknown items. It is just that like you say if the TB does not balance I don't stick the difference in there and go back to it. What is the point of journalling an amount in to it just to then have to do 2 journals to get rid of it half an hour later. I would note the amount in pencil and work my way through to figure out what was missing and then do one journal.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    got them all right except the one where you had to select favourable/adverse cos i read it the wrong way round. duh. but green green green for me! i did accounting since i was 13 at school - i guess drawing up all those manual trial balances has finally paid off!

but i agree that it relates very little to modern accounting methods - I've only once managed to get a trial balance not to balance on quickbooks...
  • bonzo-c-
    bonzo-c- Registered Posts: 5 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I have just recently passed Level 3 - yet have been told I should start again at Level 2! Their initial assessment is clearly more difficult than the course assessment. Anyone would think AAT just want people forking out for at least 3 years' of fees or something...
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Level 2 here I come! Some distinguished forum names are gonna be in that foundation class!

Amber on personal & office skills, green on IT skills, Costing and Financials but... a shameful red on double entry. Oh dear!

Bit harsh that I got four out of five right on all the double entry questions yet it still marked the whole answer as incorrect. What a load of old balls, simply engineered to get people starting on level 2 when they don't need to.
  • jow774
    Options
    We can all take food and beer and have a foundation level 2 party, Yay! Ive done 2 years and apparantly need to start again so why bother learning I can just enrol on the course again, do no work and enjoy the student life, lol.
Privacy Policy