Book-keeping on a voluntary basis

Options
Flying Scarlet
Flying Scarlet Registered Posts: 42 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All

After a bit of advice.

Im employed full time but am looking to do some book keeping & accounts work at home, but on a voluntary basis. I have a couple of potential customers who have expressed an intrest in me doing this but what I was wondering whether there is anything more I need to be doing, i.e. membership wise?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    AFAIK as long as you're not being paid for it you can do whatever you like.
  • Flying Scarlet
    Options
    coojee wrote: »

Thanks, thats what I thought but just wanted to check.
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

This is interesting!

Does it mean that if I am training as a brain surgeon and I perform a free operation on a volunteer, I am absolved of any responsibilities?
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    sdv wrote: »
    This is interesting!

Does it mean that if I am training as a brain surgeon and I perform a free operation on a volunteer, I am absolved of any responsibilities?

Very funny ....... first methinks you'll need to find your volunteer!!!!!! :lol:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    If you are doing voluntary work you still have to speak to the MIP team but there aren't any fees payable, I believe.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yep, there is a form for exemptions that you need to fill in and as far as I know you also still would need PI insurance.
  • coojee
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    Yep, there is a form for exemptions that you need to fill in and as far as I know you also still would need PI insurance.

Just checked the members section and you're right you do have to fill in a form. How odd that you have to apply to do something that doesn't require permission. I've been doing voluntary book keeping as an ACCA for years and never had to fill anything in.

My understanding of the AAT form though was that you only needed PI insurance if you were ticking option 3 - fee income of less than £1000 pa.
  • Flying Scarlet
    Options
    Ah thank you all, will get onto it & have a look.

Many thanks
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Just checked the members section and you're right you do have to fill in a form. How odd that you have to apply to do something that doesn't require permission.

I believe it's to do with statistics as much as anything - the AAT want to know how many of its members do voluntary work and this is the simplest way of doing it.

I guess it also brings home to the MAAT that they are doing professional work, albeit unpaid, and thus usual professional standards apply.

Given the ACCA's arguably draconian student practising rules, I'm really surprised they seem to be less stringent in this area!
  • coojee
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    I believe it's to do with statistics as much as anything - the AAT want to know how many of its members do voluntary work and this is the simplest way of doing it.

I guess it also brings home to the MAAT that they are doing professional work, albeit unpaid, and thus usual professional standards apply.

Given the ACCA's arguably draconian student practising rules, I'm really surprised they seem to be less stringent in this area!

I know it's bizarre isn't it. Maybe there's some small print somewhere that I've been missing all these years.
Privacy Policy