MLR - Electronic verification of identity

GinnyBee
GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Does anyone use an electronic verification system to verify the identity etc of their client for MLR purposes? I'd be interested to hear how you find it and whether it is better/worse/just different to getting physical evidence. I've got documentary evidence from my clients so far but am considering using electronic means, especially for clients distant from me.

Do you have any recommendations of good companies to use?

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I only use Electronic verification for non face-to-face clients. You still need some base documents. You enter into to the web page info such as name, DOB, address, NI number, Passport number, Driving licence number. The more you add the more sure of a match.

I use Verify (although rarely) which was recommended on here some time ago by Dean Shepherd. It's about £5 a search. Credit safe often contact me trying to sell me a package at about £2 a search but they want me to but hundreds and I simply would never use them.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    burg wrote: »
    I only use Electronic verification for non face-to-face clients. You still need some base documents. You enter into to the web page info such as name, DOB, address, NI number, Passport number, Driving licence number. The more you add the more sure of a match.

Absolutely agree with this. I always get ID for every client and only do electronic searches for clients I've not met. We use www.amlsearch.co.uk which is £5 per person. You get an instant result and pay by direct debit, it's really easy.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I use Veriphy too, it's easy, but you do need to get sufficient details first. You need to let people know you're doing a check because it shows on their credit record, although it doesn't affect their credit rating.

I only use it in certain circumstances, depending on risk, as I've found it's just as easy to copy ID as it is to get them to agree to the check (I'm a stickler for getting people to sign stuff, so I have a form).

The main advantage of electronic verification is to be able to do enhanced checks on people you don't meet, or those you assess as being a higher risk. And remember to add the cost onto your fee - it adds up if you do a firm with several director/shareholders.
Privacy Policy