FNST *Computer Crashed and lost answers*

Options
uknitty
uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
FNST today - actually not as bad as I thought in terms of the paper - Until the computer CRASHED with 30 minutes remaining after I had just finished writing out my answer to question 2.3. It froze and simply would not move from this page.

I was given a new laptop, but when the exam was reloaded, the answer I had just written to 2.3 was not on the new computer - it had been wiped out when the computer crashed. Exam centres solution - give me back the old crashed laptop and make me copy out the answer from the crashed laptop to the new laptop I was provided with.

I was assured that my clock on the new laptop would be reset to the moment the computer crashed - except it didn't - it reset to the moment we switched computers but I had to type out my answer all over again which took up a chunk of time.

To top it all off the new computer kept flashing up a pop up every 2-3 minutes saying that it was going to shut down to install windows updates so I had to keep stoping answering the question to shut down the pop up.

Earlier in the paper I'd had a mental block on part of question 1.5 (consolididation) and moved on. I'd left myself time to go back but I had no time ( as it was taken up copy typing an answer I had already written) Then... once I got to the end of 2.3 (for the second time) with just a few minutes remaining, it computer once more crashed when I tried to go back to review question 1.5. So from having 30 mintues to review my answers I was left with none.

I'm really really upset because I have to travel over 50 miles to an exam centre, take a days holiday and pay nursery fees for my daughter to be looked after. A resit will cost be in excess of £100 when travel and childcare costs are accounted for :( Beyond unhappy !

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    uknitty wrote: »
    FNST today - actually not as bad as I thought in terms of the paper - Until the computer CRASHED with 30 minutes remaining after I had just finished writing out my answer to question 2.3. It froze and simply would not move from this page.

I was given a new laptop, but when the exam was reloaded, the answer I had just written to 2.3 was not on the new computer - it had been wiped out when the computer crashed. Exam centres solution - give me back the old crashed laptop and make me copy out the answer from the crashed laptop to the new laptop I was provided with.

I was assured that my clock on the new laptop would be reset to the moment the computer crashed - except it didn't - it reset to the moment we switched computers but I had to type out my answer all over again which took up a chunk of time.

To top it all off the new computer kept flashing up a pop up every 2-3 minutes saying that it was going to shut down to install windows updates so I had to keep stoping answering the question to shut down the pop up.

Earlier in the paper I'd had a mental block on part of question 1.5 (consolididation) and moved on. I'd left myself time to go back but I had no time ( as it was taken up copy typing an answer I had already written) Then... once I got to the end of 2.3 (for the second time) with just a few minutes remaining, it computer once more crashed when I tried to go back to review question 1.5. So from having 30 mintues to review my answers I was left with none.

I'm really really upset because I have to travel over 50 miles to an exam centre, take a days holiday and pay nursery fees for my daughter to be looked after. A resit will cost be in excess of £100 when travel and childcare costs are accounted for :( Beyond unhappy !

Sorry to read about your difficulties and these sort of system failures are not acceptable.

You should immediately report this incident to AAT assessment team and also get your Exam centre to report this incident to AAT assessment team. Get the exam centre to cc you the e-mail sent to AAT assessment team.

AAT will at the minimum let you retake your exams without paying a retake fee, but they should be able to add a mitigating statement to your assessment, for the marker to take into consideration of your circumstances at the time.

once again my sympathies.
  • sarah n
    sarah n Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi, try not to panic too much. My computer also froze during fnst but the time continued to tick away & I still passed first time!! I had managed to answer all of the questions but my consolidated sofp would not balance so I carried on to the written part in section 2, when I tried to go back the whole thing just froze & I had no choice but to submit my answers as they were, I was so convinced I had failed & I was gutted cus I had worked so hard on my revision but I still passed so there's hope for you too- fingers crossed!!
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Sarah this is identical to what happened to me - it froze and crashed when I tried to go back to the consolidated statement. How strange.
Privacy Policy