Tax Return

moozy7
moozy7 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
I have been asked to do a simple tax return. I am okay with the computation ( and will get it checked before submission ).
I do not have software for submitting.
What's the best way for me to submit this return - do I have to register as a practitioner on HMRC?
If push comes to shove, I have several accountant friends who I can pay for them to do this for me, but would like to do it myself.

Thanks

Moozy :-)

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If you are only doing one or two submissions, just use the HMRC free software.
  • moozy7
    thank you for your reply.
    Do I need to register etc?
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Tax return

Hi

You need to register as an agent with HMRC, they'll send you out an ID and a password (separately). You also need to get the client to authorise you as their agent - use either a 64-8 or an online authorisation.

The 64-8 gets sent off to Longbenton and takes around two weeks to appear on your list. The online authorisation request triggers a code being sent to the client and they pass this on to you to enter on the authorisation page. These codes are only valid for 28 days and are usually sent out quite late often causing the code to be invalid by the time your client passes it on.

Hope this helps.
  • moozy7
    Thank you - I had a feeling it wouldnt be straight forward with HMRC :-)
Privacy Policy