A CGT question: military exemption like PPR?

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I've found an interesting question.

Where a person serving in the military owns a house, never lives in it, rents it out and then sells it, is it subject to CGT? Assume they were in army accommodation for the duration.

I've been told that there is an exemption that exists, meaning they effectively get PPR due to them being in the army.

I have looked and looked and I can't find anything.

Has anyone heard of this?

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Don't quote me on this but..

I believe a period of absence due to being stationed elsewhere in the military is an exempt period of ownership when doing the PPR calculation (just like final 3 years).

I don't believe it would extend to making a property exempt if it did not otherwise qualify for PPR (as it had never been the main residence).

Unless of course there is some other exemption that covers that scenario..
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Thanks Dean

The only thing I came up with was the job related acommodation one, whereby if you have to live in work accomm (and army counts as this), and you buy a property intending to live in it, but never actually do, it still counts as PPR, apparently, even if it's let out.

I just can't find anything actually relating to the armed forces, and I have run out of places to look (have tried Tolleys, HMRC Manuals, a variety of google searches).
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Ah I see.

I guess it just comes down to proving that 'intention'!
Privacy Policy