Aat qualification lowest grade not really an accountant!!!

Options
Tracy_Rutherford
Tracy_Rutherford Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
Last week I sent a clearance letter to a accountancy practice , I heard today from the client that the accountant was not happy with them leaving and to try and keep their business he used the follow scare tacticts :
Did you know you are down grading to the lowest form of accounting qualification.
You will have a tax investigation within 1 year when you change over.
Not really an accountant
Aat members don't know what they are doing basically still in nappies.
Will cost you more money in the long run!

My client is a small ltd company with basic accounts nothing out of the ordinary can't really get it wrong!

How can these big accountants get away with this?

Anyone else get this????

It makes me so cross that they dis the AAT qualification.

Comments

• taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    that is disgusting and i would be fuming.

tracy
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I would be tempted to report them to thier reporting body.

this is from ACCA Code of coduct for Ethics

150.2 In marketing and promoting themselves and their work, professional accountants
    shall not bring the profession into disrepute. Professional accountants shall be
    honest and truthful and not:
    (a) Make exaggerated claims for the services they are able to offer, the
    qualifications they possess, or experience they have gained; or
    (b) Make disparaging references or unsubstantiated comparisons to the work of
    others.

there is a load more that could be referenced from the document, but i felt the above was the most apt

http://www2.accaglobal.com/pubs/members/professional_standards/rules_standards/rulebook/rulebook_v2.pdf
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Did they send a letter or verbal?

Just wondering how you prove it Slackda, unless a statement from the client would work.
  • Tracy_Rutherford
    Tracy_Rutherford Registered Posts: 19 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    It was verbal but the client is willing to make a statement!
    So I may just report this one.

Thank you for your replies.

:)
    Newbie Registered Posts: 229 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    As an AAT member and MIP I am not allowed to make disparaging references or unsubstantiated comparisons to the work of others, nor would I want to its unprofessional and unethical, I would certainly report the matter to his or her professional body.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    How rude!
    I wouldn't hesitate to report them, that's disgusting behaviour.

Sorry to hear it happened to you.
  • craggle87
    craggle87 Registered Posts: 24 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    What a joke! I've solely been doing the accounts for a SME for two years now and not once been investigated, what a ridiculous assumption!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I've been doing peoples' tax returns for over 7 years now.
    I've never had an investigation. (Don't worry, I know I'm overdue one, so I'm not overly concerned about touching wood after saying that!)

That a client will get investigated after they switch accountants is a myth originating from disgruntled outgoing accountants. The only grain of truth might be if the ratios suddenly change dramatically - which, if both accountants have been doing their job properly, they shouldn't.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Or maybe the old accountants are worrying due to the work they've done!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    PGM wrote: Β»
    Or maybe the old accountants are worrying due to the work they've done!

I've no idea what you mean. All the files I've ever received from outgoing accountants have been perfect.

*cough*

Edited to add: I hate being the outgoing accountant. I'm sure I'm not perfect either. You can always find something with someone else's work, even if it's just a difference in style.
  • Curzy
    Curzy Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    This just sounds like a large case of sour grapes.

Well worth reporting to the institue/association as they may well receive a 'friendly' word in there ear.

It' also seems to raise alarm bells that they are so desperate not to lose clients - perhaps there are more underlying issues?

Part of the life of being a practising accountant is that you will win and lose clients, so there reaction seems to be somewhat over the top!
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Disgusting as it is, don't waste your time reporting them as in my experience no one is interested. We lost a client midst investigation to a chartered firm who offered to complete the whole investigation for Β£750 and told the client we had ripped him off, without any knowledge of the level of work we had carried out.

I made a complaint and got nowhere. Although the difference in our case is that the client wouldnt back up what was said as he believed his knew accountant and just to put the boot in cancelled his last cheque owing us Β£900.
Privacy Policy