Bookkeeping & Members in Practice

freddieisgod Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
I wonder if anyone can help...

I am looking at setting myself up as a bookkeeping business - I won't be offering any tax or accountancy advice, but purely doing bookkeeping.

To this end I was wondering if I need to register under the Members in Practice scheme prior to doing this? or is there some other AAT scheme I would need to sign upto so that I may use my FMAAT letters in my proposed venture.

The standard AAT produced documents & information that I have read on this website do not seem to cover this eventuality so I was wondering if anybody on the forums would know anymore details or could offer an answer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.


  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Bookkeeping is still classed as working in practice.

    contact the MIP team and they will point you in the right direction.

    If your income is going to be over £1000 a year you will need to register on one of the scheme levels, and if it's under that you still need to tell them.
  • freddieisgod
    freddieisgod Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸

    Thnak you for your reply Monsoon. I'll shall try contacting the MIP team as you recomended.
Privacy Policy