New(ish) driver, eek

Options
Daz1865
Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
I've just bought my first car and driven for the first time since I passed my test ~ 20 months ago.

I made multiple stalls, almost went backwards down a hill, went around a roundabout twice and was generally a bit shaky on the roads! :o

I just wanted to express my fear, and was hoping some reassurance would come my way! I was thinking I might get a few drives around the country, where it might be a bit quiet, to get my confidence back up. What do you think? Any advice for new drivers?

I would advise anyone in the Leicester area to keep off the roads for a few months!

Comments

• oli
    oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Daz1865,

No need to worry I think everyone is the same after they pass their driving test and as its been a long time since you drove since you passed your test it will take sometime to get used to driving.

Get out on the road when you can to gain more experience, maybe first try it at off peak times, also get some motorway driving experience in as some people completely avoid them for some reason which is not good.

As for stalling you will get used to your car and the stalling will pass. If you still feel you are not confident on the road maybe a pass plus course or some refresher lessons from an instructor would be useful.

Keep us informed on how you are getting on with it, btw are you studying AAT?
  • NikkiJ
    NikkiJ Registered Posts: 13 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I passed mine in Canada last December and then swapped it for a UK one when we moved here... Nothing scarier than being let loose on the other side of the road that is half the width and twice as busy with no lessons!

If I can do it then so can you.

Good luck!
  • Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I would just try and go out on the roads at times you know will be quiet, e.g evenings and early on the weekend. Then you don't have to worry too much about traffic or if you go the wrong way etc.

When I passed my test I had to start driving to uni each day 65 miles away on the motorway. So I soon became confident on the motorway but wasn' very confident in the city or with hill starts. In fact I used to go the long way round to avoid potentially having to stop on steep hills and difficult / very busy junctions. But it's best to practice at quiet times when other traffic can't add to the stress!

Also as mentioned before, it would be got to get some practice on the motorway, at quiet times to start with, as most long journeys will require some motorway driving at some stage
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 466 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    A good way to get your confidence up is maybe to find a local industrial estate and practice driving around there first - they are almost certain to be dead quiet on a sunday, and you can get practice and become more used to the feel of the car. Afetr a few hours of driving around you may find it getting easier to the point of boring, at this stage you are ready to go around your local roads in traffic and venture a little further.
  • Sulew17
    Sulew17 Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    One piece of advise - although you should practise on motorways when they're quiet avoid spaghetti junction like the plague (if you're anywhere near it) until you've got more confidence. I had to drive from London to Birmingham a week after passing my test and nearly died when I got to Spagehetti Junction - not nice at the best of times but for a newish driver it's hell! Good luck.
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I only passed my test 18 months ago at the tender age of 30 lol

The first time I drove on my own was in a hire car as my brother had promised he'd fix up his old car for me....needless to say, it didn't happen so I got fed up of waiting and hired from Enterprise as they're the only people that will lease one to you if you've had your license for less than a year. It was very scary to sa the least!

It's funny though, I look back now and wonder what I was so scared of, It is definitely down to practice though, and I wouldn't be without my sat-nav when I don't know the roads as it means I can concentrate on my driving and the other vehicles etc without worrying about what way to go

You'll be fine xx
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    zara5034 wrote: »
    It's funny though, I look back now and wonder what I was so scared of, It is definitely down to practice though,

I agree, I think its that first year of regular driving where you build up your experience and confidence at the same time.

Just do what you feel comfortable with, and you'll have the confidence before you know it.
  • kuliann
    kuliann Registered Posts: 9 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi Daz,

Congratulations on passing your driving test!

I'm a new(ish) driver too, I passed my test about 7 weeks ago. It's very stressful when you're new to it - my first legal drive was to test drive a vehicle which I then went on to buy!

I did my pass plus, which involved a motorway drive to seaside (about 80 miles each way). I then took my kids for a trip to the same town. It's been great for my confidence, and some insurance companies will give you a discount for pass plus.

My advice is to keep practising and try to stay calm. I make a point of going out just for a drive, and to go out in rush hour, rain, darkness, etc just to get used to it, so that the day you HAVE to go out in these conditions it 's not so scary.

Remember - YOU passed the test, so you CAN do it!

Safe driving!
  • Daz1865
    Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies. They're all really appreciated :-)

I guess I'm nervous because I haven't driven for so long. It also takes a bit of time getting to a new car too! I've been out once more and felt a bit more comfortable. I plan to get some good road time on the weekend when the roads are clear!

I would like to do pass plus but can't really afford to it at the moment. £25 an hour is a typical going rate for instructors nowadays! I might just get my mum to sit in the passenger seat for a bit instead ;-)

I can't really avoid motorways or big roads because of where I am. So yeah, I will have to pluck up the courage eventually!

Oh and Oli - Yes I am doing AAT. 3 more exams in my final year to go. Woo. How about you?
    Kuliann - Well done on passing your test so recently! The seaside definitely sounds like fun.
    Thanks everyone else!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Maybe you're nervous cause it's an English thing???????????????????

Revenge is sweet young man! :lol:
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Daz1865 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the replies. They're all really appreciated :-)

I guess I'm nervous because I haven't driven for so long. It also takes a bit of time getting to a new car too! I've been out once more and felt a bit more comfortable. I plan to get some good road time on the weekend when the roads are clear!

I would like to do pass plus but can't really afford to it at the moment. £25 an hour is a typical going rate for instructors nowadays! I might just get my mum to sit in the passenger seat for a bit instead ;-)

I can't really avoid motorways or big roads because of where I am. So yeah, I will have to pluck up the courage eventually!

Oh and Oli - Yes I am doing AAT. 3 more exams in my final year to go. Woo. How about you?
    Kuliann - Well done on passing your test so recently! The seaside definitely sounds like fun.
    Thanks everyone else!

Hi, I dont know which part of the midlands you are in but my daughters driving instructor charges £16.00 per hour which is very reasonable. She taught my partner to drive and he passed in July this year. She also taught his sister some years ago. She covers Halesowen/Dudley areas. If you call a few you may find some charge reasonable prices and may do you an odd motorway lesson just to build your confidence back up.

My partner although hasn't had a gap between passing and driving is still very nervous of alot of situations so don't think you are alone.

Keep your chin up, one day you will find that the nerves have gone and you might actually start to enjoy driving.
Privacy Policy