Business Tax Exemption?

Options
anniebabe
anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Guys
Just had an odd conversation with a fellow student that is doing lvl 4
She has been told that she is exempt from Business Tax because she did a Tax unit at Lvl3
Does anyone know if this Is this correct?
I did as many will have done unit 7 -but I am quite sure that doesnt mean I would be exempt from BTX as an option ? surely
can anyone shed any light on this.

Thankyou.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    No idea. What tax unit at level 3?
  • anniebabe
    Options
    I honestly dont understand why she has been told she is exempt from BTX, and dont think that the unit 7 was anything like BTX?
    All sound very odd to me.
    No doubt she has misunderstood something - but was curious to find out if I had missed something.
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    If she completed level 3 via the diploma route then she most likely completed Unit 15, cash management and credit control which is also a Level 4 unit, now that the AAT has moved over to the new standards it means those that completed Unit 15 are exempt from one of the optional units, It doesn't specifically mean Business Tax though.

When I went to college for Level 4 this year, we had to chose between Cash Management or Business Tax, and between Personal tax or Audit, so I was technically exempt from BTX, as I already had Cash Management, however, I thought Id do BTX as an extra anyway

Maybe the other student is in that position?
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Hi Zara
    Yes she did the Diploma route - so maybe that is what she means.
    So that does mean she needs to complete 2 extra units like everyone else then?
    I got the impression she didnt have to do 2 extra units - thought id missed something.
    She says she is only doing PTX, Financial Performance, Project, Financial Statements, Budgeting.
    So she only has to do 1 optional unit then - thats poo if I have to do 2 :(
    Does the same apply to those who did the QCF units then?
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Zara
    Yes she did the Diploma route - so maybe that is what she means.
    So that does mean she needs to complete 2 extra units like everyone else then?
    I got the impression she didnt have to do 2 extra units - thought id missed something.
    She says she is only doing PTX, Financial Performance, Project, Financial Statements, Budgeting.
    So she only has to do 1 optional unit the - thats poo.
    Does the same apply to those who did the QCF units then?

Yes, she'll only have one option to do.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Duplicate.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Just read this back this morning - the person you are talking about in the initial post wouldn't be me would it?

Just this sounds like a conversation we had via PM when I said about sending you the FNST passcards as a gift and those are the exact units I said I was doing.

I said
    I've only got 2 units signed off so far - CMCC as an exemption as I did it at level 3 on the "old" standards and as of yesterday FNST "

Over the whole of the course I still have to do the same amount of work as everyone else - however the Credit Control part of CMCC didn't used to be optional - I **HAD** to sit it at level 3 because that is where it used to be on the old sylabus.

I'm not missing out doing a unit - I've just done it early. ( Not sure why you think that is "poo" !)

So, Zara is quite right - I don't need to sit business tax as an option because with Credit Control and Personal Tax I will already have two optional units complete. (But also like Zara I am probably going to do the extra units anyway because both tax units will be useful to have)

I've not misunderstood anything ....
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Hello
    No sweet , its one of the girls I used to work with - we were having a convo last night about where she is upto with AAT.
    Didnt realise there was a difference with the old Diploma/NVQ route.
    Couldnt understand why she said she didnt have to do 2 options, thought i was having to do something i didnt have to - if that makes sense.
    She says that she is exempt from Business Tax - something to do with level 3 - but was unsure why?
    Hadnt even connected the 2 conversation tbh!
    Infact I dont recall the conversation mentioning Business Tax at all.
    Sorry if you got the wrong end of the stick UKnitty.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    zara5034 wrote: Β»
    If she completed level 3 via the diploma route then she most likely completed Unit 15, cash management and credit control which is also a Level 4 unit, now that the AAT has moved over to the new standards it means those that completed Unit 15 are exempt from one of the optional units, It doesn't specifically mean Business Tax though.

When I went to college for Level 4 this year, we had to chose between Cash Management or Business Tax, and between Personal tax or Audit, so I was technically exempt from BTX, as I already had Cash Management, however, I thought Id do BTX as an extra anyway

Maybe the other student is in that position?

I did exactly the same, I could have skipped the BTX module because of the credits from the other modules. But it was good experience!
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Yeah I learned a lot of really useful stuff that also ties in with the PTX unit, and I think it looks good on the CV to have BTX as an extra unit. I'm really glad I did it.
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Yeah I suppose its a good idea to do it - it was just the thought of me having to do 2 options and then she said she was doing one - couldnt understand why?
    I think I am looking forward to doing the Tax units more than the Financial Statements tbh. Sounds really sad that doesnt it - lol
  • stephleedz
    stephleedz Registered Posts: 179 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi guys,

I have spoken with the AAT this afternoon as I myself am starting level 4 on Monday doing BTX and PTX as my additional options. Basically how they explained it to me was say for example I had done 4 exams at AAT Level 3 and passed and had 3 exams left to do, when the new syllabus came into effect I would be exempt from re doing the first 4 exams on the new syllabus. I would not actually be exempt from doing a subject/unit that I hadn't already been marked competent in. Hope this makes sense.

By the way when I was on the phone with the AAT they confirmed that I hadn't actually been switches over to the new syllabus even though I had receives confirmation from my learning provider that I had...so make sure you are with a quick phone call.

Oh also as I have not received my level 3 certificate they confirmed it had been despatched on 7th and should be received by the end of September.

Thank

Steph
Privacy Policy