Lever 3 query

Hi All,

Just wondered if someone could advise how big the syllabus is for indirect tax, cash management and prof ethics? How many sections in each of the books in particular osborne.

Just my provider says that my study expires in a few days and that if I want to get the support for these units then it would be 180 quid per unit and if I get the whole unit she will only knock £39 off which I paid for the AP material. I don't think its a good deal as I passed ECR on the old standards and would be expected to pay for that.

Cheers
Martin

Comments

  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591
    Who is your training provider ? I've not heard of study support "expiring" with any of the larger distance learning providers.....
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420
    uknitty wrote: »
    Who is your training provider ? I've not heard of study support "expiring" with any of the larger distance learning providers.....

    Its eagle
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591
    Wow - and I'd heard such great things about Eagle. That has surprised me !

    Do you mean that because you were studying on the Diploma Courseway but have not finished in time for the standards ending your study package is expiring ? As such you are expected to pay again to start the course under the new standards (with a discount for the cost of the AP books because you will not be sitting that paper ?)

    I certainly wouldn't pay £540 to finish off a course I am halfway through....
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420
    uknitty wrote: »
    Who is your training provider ? I've not heard of study support "expiring" with any of the larger distance learning providers.....

    check your inbox
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387
    most of them do have an expiry date, well with BPP if you buy a whole level i think you get two years, but its about six months per unit. I guess they feel they can't keep supporting you forever. From the sounds of things though the OP is transferring to the new standards so perhaps thats why there is a charge? unless you started this level within the last year (after the standards changed) then i don't think its unfair to charge to change over. If they sold you this package just before the change over then you could argue, but it might be a bit late for that!
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591
    ?
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420
    uknitty wrote: »
    ?

    check now
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420
    JaffasGirl wrote: »
    most of them do have an expiry date, well with BPP if you buy a whole level i think you get two years, but its about six months per unit. I guess they feel they can't keep supporting you forever. From the sounds of things though the OP is transferring to the new standards so perhaps thats why there is a charge? unless you started this level within the last year (after the standards changed) then i don't think its unfair to charge to change over. If they sold you this package just before the change over then you could argue, but it might be a bit late for that!


    Yeah the expire was august after the 2 yrs but I think its bit unfair not to reduce it further as I wont be doing the costing unit - to take off the cost of the material for AP is for the sum of £39 is not exactly a good deal. They actually say its cheaper to get the whole level.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591
    Just had a look at Eagle's website. The AAT distance learning package provides 2 years worth of study support.

    So having seen that I guess that changes what I am thinking slightly. 2 years support is a reasonable amount of time to give to complete what is geared at being a 1 year course.

    Do Kaplan also have a limit to the length of your study support ? I didn't realise that any of the main distance learning providers had time limits to be honest ! Clearly I was wrong :)

    If it was me though, I still wouldn't pay £540 to finish off. Its just too much money for me ! I don't know what the new sylabus is like, sorry Martin. The only thing I can suggest is to buy the books direct from Osborne's website (they are cheaper there than amazon) take a look through them and decide how much support (if any) you think you will need before making a decision.
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420
    uknitty wrote: »
    Just had a look at Eagle's website. The AAT distance learning package provides 2 years worth of study support.

    So having seen that I guess that changes what I am thinking slightly. 2 years support is a reasonable amount of time to give to complete what is geared at being a 1 year course.

    Do Kaplan also have a limit to the length of your study support ? I didn't realise that any of the main distance learning providers had time limits to be honest ! Clearly I was wrong :)

    If it was me though, I still wouldn't pay £540 to finish off. Its just too much money for me ! I don't know what the new sylabus is like, sorry Martin. The only thing I can suggest is to buy the books direct from Osborne's website (they are cheaper there than amazon) take a look through them and decide how much support (if any) you think you will need before making a decision.


    Yeah I think the 2 yrs is reasonable and I havent got a problem with paying more to do it just that to give a megre reduction of £39 is a rip! Looking at the elearning they have there isnt much for direct tax and there is no material that they do for prof ethics.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591
    Professional Ethics has had a huge, huge overhaul in the new sylabus. There probably isn't much study material because it is effectively a new unit. Same goes for Indirect Tax. There are no existing past papers to use as guidelines.

    I really don't know what to suggest other than trying to self study some units, see how you get on, and if you really really are struggling pay for support once you find you need it rather than pay upfront and find out maybe you could have "gone it alone".
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387
    I think you also have to check if that unit is still valid. I know that on the change over some units on the old pathway don't count, and you need to do ther units instead. For example, as uknitty says, the professional ethics unit is completley different and not valid on the change over. Also there are more units in level 3 now I believe so it could be why it costs more. On the BPP website there is something that tells you want units you need to do on the changeover. Ask premier what units your paying for and check it against this.
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420
    Eagle have arranged to support me on AP I and II along with spreadsheets till the end of october and then look at the other units then.

    Cheers for the posts.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794
    MWAUGH1983 wrote: »
    Yeah I think the 2 yrs is reasonable and I havent got a problem with paying more to do it just that to give a megre reduction of £39 is a rip! Looking at the elearning they have there isnt much for direct tax and there is no material that they do for prof ethics.

    You should still be able to get all the materials from eagle for the units you haven't completed as you paid for those up front in your initial fee. If you registered on the old standards you won't get Spreadsheets as this is a new unit but you'll get cash management and indirect tax (assuming you haven't already had them). So you can then decide whether you want to go it alone on those units or pay for support.

    I don't think it's unreasonable to have a time limit on support otherwise students could come back years later and demand to finish a course that they started 5 or 10 years ago.

    From what I understand eagle are more generous than other providers as they haven't made any charges for students who are transferring to the new standards. I've heard that other providers have charged upwards of £50 to transfer. It sounds like they're helping you out a lot as well by extending your support for nothing for another 2 months.
  • Neney
    Neney Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ⭐ ? ⭐
    Hi Martin,

    For the Cash Management Module in the Osbourne Book there are seven chapters. I am not sure about the indirect tax and prof ethics. Prof ethics is my nxt module.

    Jhenene
Privacy Policy