HMRC & PTR Query

Options
charlene198
charlene198 Registered Posts: 6 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

Im a new MIP and just have a couple of 'silly' questions I hope someone wouldn't mind helping me with. I have requested a mentor directly through the AAT but they advised that as there was no one local to me they could not allocate me one so to go through the forum...

My first query is that I have just taken on a client who has already been trading for 1 year and previously used a different accountant firm. I am taking over management accounting, VAT and PAYE but for the VAT & PAYE I need to access HMRC to submit the information. Would I need the login details that the previous accountant had or would it be that I would register a new login and put my agent reference number in? The HMRC website confuses me and I just don't want to make a mistake ....

Thank you!

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    You will need to register as an agent with HMRC and then authorise each client as and when they come to you. You don't need any login details from the previous accountant.
  • charlene198
    Options
    Many thanks for your reply, I thought I had done this as I selected register as an agent and obtained a Agent ID but then received the gateway identification through to my own address as if I were trying to authorise myself and I'm not sure how I went wrong, I don't suppose you know of any information / help on where I went wrong?

Thank you :)
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    You need both your gateway ID (this is your username for HMRC online) and your agent codes. For VAT you get the code straight away. Have you applied for your agent code for PAYE?

Also, it wouldn't hurt to get professional clearance from the previous accountant.
  • charlene198
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I have received my professional clearance and I have my agent reference number for both PAYE and VAT but the gateway agents activation code which came through the post came directly to me at my home address and I havent put the code in because the letter is written to me asking if I can be enrolled to use the 'Non VAT registered agents' and another letter asking if I can be enrolled to use the 'PAYE/CIS for agents'. I just didn't want to put the Gateway codes in and for it to them be incorrect.

Does that then mean once I put the codes in it will then allow me to put my Clients in to then request them to authorise me?

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    That sounds about right to me :)
Privacy Policy