New Job Role

AmyRichardson
AmyRichardson Registered Posts: 89 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi All

I have recently been offered a new job, and have taken it due to the fact I was being made redundant, I am awaiting my results from my PTX exam and then I will be AAT qual.
All of my previous roles have been 'Accounts Assistant' mainly dealing with sales ledger, purchase ledger and the occasional Journal.

My new job role involves the following (Assistant Accountant -study acca)
- Month End Reporting
- Costings
- Overhead Reporting and Forecasting
- Balance Sheet Reconciliations
- Business Analysis
- VAT Returns, Intrastats and ESL
- Fixed Assets
- Calculation of Key Company Ratio`s
- Cover of the Ledgers at busy times

Has anyone ever moved from accounts assistant to assistant accountant, if so what do you think were the main changes?

Is there anyway I can prepare for this type of work as most of it I have taken exams for but never done practically, they use sage and a seperate reporting software by the way.

Any info much appreciated

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Accounts assistant and assistant accountant seem to chop and change depending on the company so I wouldn't look into that too much, looks like a Management Accountant type role, is it in Industry?
  • AmyRichardson
    Yes it is in industry, manufacturing, the company is a subsidary of a very large american group, every report to them will be in USD ! I have worked a little with foreign exchange but not anything on this scale
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Was your other role in industry also? Or was it in practice?
  • AmyRichardson
    yes my other role was in industry, started out in practice but never liked it :)
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Good Luck with your new Role Amy,

Im an Assistant Accountant for a Manufacturer in the West Mids too.

As other posters have said both accounts assistant and assistant accountant roles seem to interchange alot. I still do the ledger work for the sales side along with the other duties your new role does as well.

The main advice I can give you is to be flexiable, take your time to double check your work and most of all enjoy it. No two days will be the same :)

Jo
  • AmyRichardson
    Hi Jo

thats cool :) my new place is in walsall, where abouts do you work?

I am really excited but nervous at the same time, just hope I get some decent training and understand what and why I'm doing things.

I am glad to get away from CIS though thats for sure lol
  • *Jo
    Hi Amy,

I work in Dudley,

Is CIS the Construction Industry? I'm now studying CIMA and Construction Contracts is a nightmare to get my head around.

You will be fine :)
  • AmyRichardson
    thats where I'm working right now :) a company called dss environmental, by cousins off the dual carriage way

yes it is indeed! It confused me a lot
  • *Jo
    I know cousins but have to admit i've never heard of dss enviromental.

Its good you have secured a new position after being made redundant.

All the best for the new role.
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Good luck Amy!

Some of the best assistant accountants that have worked for me have been self starters who are proactive and always remember their key work deadlines.

I think being keen, positive and taking care with your work are really important as well?
Privacy Policy