Launching a Web Site

*Jo
*Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
Hello all,

My other half is a Printer by trade but struggling to find a new job and is currently working in packing.

We are thinking about him having a website so he can display his Graphic Design skills to potential employers and a portfollio of work.

Having never done this before are there any suggestions for reputable companies to buy the site address from and approximate costs?

The design bit he will do himself of course.

Thanks very much in advance,

Jo

Comments

• Nia
    Nia Registered Posts: 72 Regular contributor ⭐
    *Jo wrote: »
    Hello all,

My other half is a Printer by trade but struggling to find a new job and is currently working in packing.

We are thinking about him having a website so he can display his Graphic Design skills to potential employers and a portfollio of work.

Having never done this before are there any suggestions for reputable companies to buy the site address from and approximate costs?

The design bit he will do himself of course.

Thanks very much in advance,

Jo

setting up a website can be done cheaply. I've set one up for myself to advertise the jewellery I make. I used Webs to set up the site, I did it ages ago and used HTML but I think now you can just type in plain english and it's pretty much all done for you. This is free.
    I used Telivo to purchase my domain name, I think it was about £7 for a .co.uk web address for 2 years.
    Give me a shout if you want any more info :)
  • *Jo
    Thanks Nia,

Good to know its that cheap.

Jo
  • JasonTurbo
    JasonTurbo Registered Posts: 27 Epic contributor 🐘
    You'll be glad to hear that in this modern era that it is both cheap and relatively easy to set up a website. I personally use a company called 1and1 (or 1&1) and they have worked out pretty well for my needs, although there are so many providers out there, so it might be a case of shopping around. Domains are cheap to purchase on a yearly or 2 yearly contract, however all the simple and/or obvious names might already be taken.

As for setting up the website then there's plenty of options here to, again this is my personal preference but I use a program called WordPress, which is free. All you do is upload this to your webspace and install. From then on in you can change all manner of options such as the theme/layout/pages/etc. I think this is known technically as a CMS or content management system.

If you need any guidance drop me a PM.
  • *Jo
    Thanks Jason
  • anisurrahman
    anisurrahman Registered Posts: 130 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Jo

I bought my .co.uk domain from http://www.ukreg.com/. It costs only £2.95/year. I have used Google Site (http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en-GB/business/sites.html) to create and host my site for free.

Ronnie
Privacy Policy