Interview questions for Sales & Purchase Ledger clerk

Metatron
Metatron Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
Hi

Can anyone give me any examples of questions etc that maybe asked at an interview for a Sales and Purchase Ledger clerk or skills tests.

Thank you in anticipation
Metatron

Comments

• Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Not sure about that job role specifically, every interview is different. Give this link a read over though it helps immensely if you're prepared for any of these common questions to pop up during any type of interview.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132057

Some interviews are a little more unorthodox, be prepared to explain everything that's on your CV for starters.

Go over everything you've learnt so far so you can explain it as if the interviewer was new to accounts (to a certain degree), it shows you understand. You may be asked to explain how you were taught these things (avoid answers like, "the tutor explains it then we do practice questions")... emphasis on the theory, throw in a definition and give an example.

e.g. We were taught that throughout level 3 the double entry system would be the main foundation of what we'd be learning, we learnt this based on the principle that for every accounting entry there's an equal and opposite reaction... for example if I were to record an invoice to the [blah blah account] I'd have to make another entry of equal amounts to the [blah blahs]. This ensures yadda yadda blah blah, we also learn this on sage blah blah blah.
  • zhulme
    zhulme Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Metatron

Hi, well it can vary significantly depending on the place. I've been to large companies, who ask you nothing about your actual knowledge just your goals in regards to the accounts, where you see youself in the future etc etc, the general really.

However i did experience an accounts interview about a year ago, where i was quizzed very much in depth about invoices, debts, procedures to take with the accounts. It was very much related to the studies which i had done, which surprised me for a smaller company.

So i do think it depends vastly.

p.s outside knowledge of the company always gets you brownie points :)
  • JasonTurbo
    JasonTurbo Registered Posts: 27 Epic contributor 🐘
    Just to echo the points that the people above have made, I've found when looking for a job that interviews tend to fall into two main categories. Vague (strengths/weakness's for example) or direct (have you got experience of x or y), both of which are useful. From an interviewee point of view you want the chance to both prove that you are capable of doing the job as well as expressing the type of person you are so be prepared for both.

My top tip is smiling, and try and think of your body language, sometimes just sitting up straight and actually engaging someone in eye contact can be almost as important as the words you say.
  • Metatron
    Metatron Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Thank you to all of the above who have taken time to reply to my request, I am really touched. My interview is tomorrow so thank you again.

Metatron
Privacy Policy