Outsourcing vs Inhouse

Options
Louise89
Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
We currently outsource our payroll and what I would like to know is how easy would it be to bring it inhouse and do it ourselves. I have looked at the initial and ongoing cost and there are savings to be made; but I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth it, since it is pretty hassle free for us at the moment.

We have about 40 employees in our company.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    How much does it cost to outsource?

Would help us you could get some support while you learn all thats involved.
  • Louise89
    Options
    /

Just shy of 2k per annum, although we are billed monthly.

I was thinking that whoever will take over payroll could do Sage Payroll 1 and 2 which is only 3 days of training.
  • MOHMEDSALIM PATEL
    MOHMEDSALIM PATEL Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I will do it for you free.

If you are in based in Lancashire , around 15 miles radios from where i live, I will do it for you free as I have completed AAT payroll level 3. Just to gain experience.

this will be a stepping stone for me.

please let me know.
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Just shy of 2k per annum, although we are billed monthly.

I was thinking that whoever will take over payroll could do Sage Payroll 1 and 2 which is only 3 days of training.

You also need to bear in mind that whoever is going to run the payroll will ideally need some knowledge of manual payroll calculations, along with SSP/SMP and various deductions. Sage is very user friendly so I agree that the course is a good idea, but it wont help if an employee requires tax or SSP advice. Are you able to recruit a new member of staff with prior experience, maybe part time, to fill the role? On the other hand you may find that you are able to find a more cost effective way of outsourcing as most of the information can be e mailed so geographical location isn't a problem.
  • Louise89
    Options
    Hey Zara,

Thanks for your advice, my manager and I talked through this and we have decided to look at it for the new financial year. So if we do decide to do it inhouse we can start on a clean slate. :)
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Louise if you are considering a payroll qualification you could take a look at IAB's courses. They do manual and computerised qualifications, and you could study via distance learning.

I've signed up with Groves Training but with my FNPF exam looming I have not had time to make a start on the payroll course yet ! If you started studying now then come the new financial year you would be in a very strong position to undertake the work in house.
  • Louise89
    Options
    Ah thanks for this uknitty, I am definitely going to research their courses. I think it would be great to do this and like you said be in a strong position in April to bring payroll inhouse, however I don't think my manager is too keen on doing this until 2012!

Good luck with FNPF!
  • Neillaw
    Neillaw Registered Posts: 307 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Do you have the capacity to bring the operation back in-house.
    Is your payroll weekly or monthly.
    If it's monthly then it would probably be best to bring this inhouse but it's alot of work if you do this on a weekly basis.
    If you brought this inhouse then you would have someone on-site who can answer any questions your employees have with tax codes etc without having to go to an outside agency.
Privacy Policy