Advice required for a new mobile phone contract

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Folks

My present mobile contract will be coming to an end shortly, and I am looking for a new contract.

The problem is that there are so many different tariffs around, I don't know where to start !! Plus, I'm not very techy minded.

I have also visited a few local retailers, and of course they are typical salesmen - always want to sell you something. More often than not, I leave the shop even more confused!

Can someone please suggest how I go about selecting a new contract?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• jamieleeuk
    jamieleeuk Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    How many minutes did you use on average per month on current contract? - Get the same minutes
    How many texts did you send on avg on current contract? - Get the same text
    How much do you use the internet on your phone? - Get at least 1GB wi-fi and 500MB mobile browsing

I have 300 minutes, 3000 texts, 1GB wi-fi internet, 500MB mobile browsing, HTC Desire S (at launch week) and pay £27 a month.

Some 3rd party phone retailers (dialaphone etc) have good deals on phones, but read small print if getting from there. My last contract was from there and although it was dirt cheap, I had to cancel a few bolt on products that came with the contract. Fairly straigh forward, but bothersome nonetheless.

Don't do it over the internet either - phone them up! You can haggle for more :-)
  • Sammmy88
    Sammmy88 Registered Posts: 283 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I have Unlimited Text and I think 600 mins, and unlimited internet, on an Iphone 3g. I pay £35, which I think is good, as I never go over!
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    What sort of phone do you want?

I think thats the main factor.
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I've changed to a smartphone recently, and was just as clueless. In the past I've had a very basic PAG phone, but wanted to get work emails when out of the office.

My criteria were price and capability. So I decided a max budget and min functions, then started comparing.

Ruled out any with an up-front cost, which included iphones and Blackberries, and went for an HTC, which I'd never heard of, and changed providers. It's easy to use and I get 2,000 minutes, 5,000 texts and unlimited data for £25 per month. Only snag was signing up for 24 months.

Maybe start by contacting your current provider and asking about current deals, it's surprising what they come up with when they think you might leave.
  • oakley
    oakley Registered Posts: 73 Regular contributor ⭐
    just got a free iphone 3gs (no point in payuing more for the 4 for longer battery and another camera) texts, minutes, data for £13 per month on O2, no up front payment on 24 month contract :-)

all depends on how much you will use it as t ohow much to pay, no point in getting thousands of minutes and texts as most people do not use them.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Does anyone else fine internet connections on mobiles totally rubbish?!

Feel like going back to a cheap PAYG, and having some other non phone device to use when connected to wifi.
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you are an AAT Member there is a company called Shebang that supposedly offer discounts on mobile phone deals.

I have spoken to them a couple of times in the last few weeks but have not signed up with them yet. I have only heard of them through the AAT and have not been able to find any reviews.
  • mclma
    mclma Registered Posts: 2 New contributor 🐸
    Phone

If you dont mind keeping your phone i would just get sim only!

I have an Iphone 3g and am with Vodafone sim only (12month Contract)

600 minutes anytime
    unlimited Txts
    500mb Web
    750mb Wi-FI

its only £21.50 a month (inclusive of VAT)

or if you want a new phone try seeking a discount through Quidco website. they have some good offers on all things not just phones!!

Good Luck
Privacy Policy