Dodgy CIS Client?

Options
jow774
jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
The title should put me off before I ask, lol.

I have been approached by a CIS client to do SA return for last year. They apparently had a messy time previously with their books and had to get 3 years prepared at once (I know alarm bells should be going), but they had a chartered accountant who sorted this for them. I contacted the accountant and he said that the client was an ongoing client with whom he had issues but wouldnt tell me what they were.

Does the previous accountant have to tell me what the issues are? The client says that the previous years accounts havent been finished yet and because of the dispute has asked if I could do the 2 years for him instead? Would anyone else bother with this client? I have told him to try to sort out the previous accountant before I can do any work for him?

Help please?

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    For me it would depend on where the records are. If your client has all the records then I would agree to sort it out (because I love CIS really). I would, however, ask for part payment up-front because of issues uncovered.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Hmm, dodgy!

Full payment up front, without a shadow of a doubt. I would not do any work without full payment, for sure.

I'd phone the accountant for an off the record chat. Say you understand that he doesn't want to discuss specifics, but you'd be very grateful if he could give an indication of the type of issues and whether they would present you with any ethical or professional issues in accepting the appointment. Worth a try at least.

Also dot the i's and cross the t's in your MLR risk assessment/ checks.
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    Thanks for the replys. I will try to investigate further if he comes back to me, Ive left the ball in his court at the moment and told him to get his current accountant to finalise the previous year before I will do any work for him.

I told you Monsoon, I only get dodgy clients, lol! I was going to knock mip on the head as I work for an accountant part time now, but sure enough as we get near the deadline im starting to get those good ole dodgy clients crawling out the woodwork, lol.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Jow, be firm and only take 'dodgy' ones on with payment up front. If they sniff about it, that suggests something about their calibre! Given that the bottom line is we are doing this to earn money, if you've been paid, then the rest of it is less of an issue.

Nothing wrong with iffy clients, we've all had them, but you need to be firm and handle them right from the outset. I learned this through tough experience! Nothing wrong with keeping your MIP licence ticking over for the odd client, it will grow in time, I had very few year end clients for years and then it just took off.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

In fact, I wouldn't even touch it with your barge pole!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Really? I love the awkward ones...money up front of course.
Privacy Policy