Advice on what to eat & drink in order to improve memory and/or concentration

geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Hi Folks

Do any of you eat any type of food or drink any type of drink in order to improve your memory and/or concentration with regards to studying?

Thanks

Comments

• *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    My daughters college advises them to eat bananas before exams to improve memory but I don't particulary see the benefit in this apart from the obvious fact that they are full of fibre and fill up you tummy therefore making you less likely to be hungry and distracted.

Eat something that fills you without bloating and take regular breaks.

I do however find a few sweeties/chocolate goes down well and is encouraging when hitting the books :)
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    *Jo wrote: ยป
    I do however find a few sweeties/chocolate goes down well and is encouraging when hitting the books :)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! & a good cup of coffee!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! & a good cup of coffee!

Good quality filter coffee helps, Gold Blend was no longer cutting it!
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    PGM wrote: ยป

haha! Poor Gold Blend!
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    PGM wrote: ยป

Thats where I'm going wrong then,

I only drink decaf :)
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Red bull for concentration.....ice cold ....really refreshing after 4 or 5 coffee's

apparently Soya Milk/oily fish is/are good for increasing/helping with memory.....
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    What do you eat during exams?
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
    Tea/Coffee helps me a lot.

As far as food, I hear fish oils are good (I take Omega tablets). Vitamins/fruit generally make me feel healthier and less tired.

If you like supplement tablets/vitamins (like I do), you should look into Ginseng tablets. A lot of Chinese workers I know swear by it to keep them focused as well a wealth of other health benefits. There's several types; Korean Ginseng, Siberian Ginseng - probably some others. You'll want the one that doesn't affect your adrenal glands because they're more so for physical hard work rather than studying. Pop into Holland & Barrett and ask for Ginseng to help you stay focused during studying, they should be of good help. :)
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    try looking at this
    http://www.ginkgobiloba-offer.co.uk/
    I have been reading up on Ginseng and apparently it isnt supposed to work for concentration.
  • geek84
    geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I was searching on the internet the other day, and apparently almonds are good for improving memory & concentration. It is advised that you need to soak about a dozen almonds in water the night before, and when you wake up the following morning peel off the skin before eating them.

If you do this first thing in the morning, you would see the effects of it for the rest of the day.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I thought ginseng was supposed to be good for libido? :001_tt1:

Oily fish is supposed to be good for memory. And bananas?

Generally, I'd say a balanced diet with your 5 a day and some regular exercise will be far better than an unbalanced lifestyle with some "health foods" thrown in, so it's better to take a holistic approach.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Dunno about foods, but if I don't make sure I stay hydrated my concentration really lapses....
Privacy Policy