Help with SAGE Payroll

Options
AndyNewcastle
AndyNewcastle Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi, I have started with a company where one of my tasks is payroll for 6 members of staff. However, as my hand over was only 3 days, and I havent used SAGE Payroll before, it has caused me one or two problems!! And to be honest, I dont think the person I replaced was that au fait with it.

So, can anyone recommend a good book that will give me the basics to run payroll correctly- the simpler the guide the better!!!!!

Thanks all
Andy

Comments

• KaySarah
    KaySarah Registered Posts: 215 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi Andy
    Do you have a Sage Log-in Account for Sage services on the Web? If so - Article 11388 is "Processing your Payroll" (9 pages).
    If not - you can use the Help button at the top RHS of the Payroll screen -if you still have problems I can scan the pages in & upload to here (Payroll Processing PLUS how to update your Nominal Link) (this is critical to ensure your accounting software has the payroll information).
    HMRC website also distribute (free download) a program to run a simple payroll (it is Very Easy to use) and also connects to the internet so you can submit your P45s etc directly from the software.
    If you need further info - please be specific with your questions so I can help.

Kay
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi Andy
    Do you have a Sage Log-in Account for Sage services on the Web? If so - Article 11388 is "Processing your Payroll" (9 pages).
    If not - you can use the Help button at the top RHS of the Payroll screen -if you still have problems I can scan the pages in & upload to here (Payroll Processing PLUS how to update your Nominal Link) (this is critical to ensure your accounting software has the payroll information).
    HMRC website also distribute (free download) a program to run a simple payroll (it is Very Easy to use) and also connects to the internet so you can submit your P45s etc directly from the software.
    If you need further info - please be specific with your questions so I can help.

Kay

Hi Kay

Have you got the details of the HMRC download? I run a payroll for a pre school and we can't afford software so I just use the HMRC calculator and manual records but it does get a bit cumbersome.

Thanks
  • KaySarah
    Options
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1086949246&type=RESOURCES

Hi Coojee .. It's now available via Business Link .. you need to click the Accept etc T&Cs .. I used the Free HMRC software for years with 20+ staff .. and I still use it for a small freelance carer payroll that I run .. It also has lots of help forms as well as a Practice/Learning session on it .. After download - keep the Basic PAYE Tools on your desktop for ease of access. Remember to Back up regularly. It also has all the P32's for Monthend totals to pay HMRC. I am in the habit of printing Both the NIC and PAYE sheets (P11s) of employees each time I pay them - in that way if the computer ever fails I always have paper back up.
    If you get stuck - let me know.

Kay
  • KaySarah
    Options
    Almost forgot - It does all your Year End P14s & P60s too :-) ... after that .. get yourself a Govt Gateway Log-in and you can key in the details for online filing (if you're not already doing so).
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1086949246&type=RESOURCES

Hi Coojee .. It's now available via Business Link .. you need to click the Accept etc T&Cs .. I used the Free HMRC software for years with 20+ staff .. and I still use it for a small freelance carer payroll that I run .. It also has lots of help forms as well as a Practice/Learning session on it .. After download - keep the Basic PAYE Tools on your desktop for ease of access. Remember to Back up regularly. It also has all the P32's for Monthend totals to pay HMRC. I am in the habit of printing Both the NIC and PAYE sheets (P11s) of employees each time I pay them - in that way if the computer ever fails I always have paper back up.
    If you get stuck - let me know.

Kay

Brilliant, thanks for that. And yes, I'm already using the government gateway for online filing
  • AndyNewcastle
    AndyNewcastle Registered Posts: 9 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    Hi All.
    Thanks for the above.

Andy
  • KaySarah
    Options
    You're welcome ... the bonus is .. it also calculates P11Ds and the P11D WS ...

Downside - but not a major hassle is ... you'll need to make an Excel Template for your wage slips.

Kind regards

Kay
Privacy Policy