An Asset?!

Options
spurschic1@yahoo.com
spurschic1@yahoo.com Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor โญ
Hi all,

One of our clients own a box at the O2 arena, how would I class this on the accounts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Nice!

Owns the box, or owns the rights to use the box for a period of time?
    I don't know the answer either way offhand, but this might help you work it out?
  • spurschic1@yahoo.com
    Options
    They own it for a period of time if this helps?
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    This would be advertising or entertainment, depending on the usage of the box
  • spurschic1@yahoo.com
    Options
    If this is an expense rather than an asset would I then post a prepayment as it covers a period in the future?
  • LynWest
    LynWest Registered Posts: 122 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If it does not all relate to the financial year of the accounts being produced i would post a prepayment. :)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If it does not all relate to the financial year of the accounts being produced i would post a prepayment. :)

I don't think you can.

Certain expenses were you're not guaranteed a return can't be prepaid, we had this problem with marketing brochures, we spent ยฃ10k on them right before year end, obviously nearly all still in stock, auditors wouldn't allow us to treat them as an asset or prepay them.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Different scenario to brochures.

Presumably they don't own the physical box, just a right to use it for events and that right extends beyond the year in question.

Is it a lease? How long?
  • PGM
    Options
    Different scenario to brochures.

Could you expand on it please Dean, the principle behind the brochures I get, but knowing where you draw the line?

Is it because you haven't yet received the service of using the box? They're both a sunk marketing cost with no gauranteed returns.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Rights to use a corporate box extend over a period of time. More like leasing an office than buying brochures.
  • PGM
    Options
    Rights to use a corporate box extend over a period of time. More like leasing an office than buying brochures.

Ah right, thanks.
Privacy Policy