Self-employed Bookkeeping and Level-3 Qualified

Makkusu
Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
I've completed my Level 3 qualification and currently studying level 4, I've no work experience in Accounts or Bookkeeping as of yet, however I've been given the opportunity to do the books for someone I've known for a while who is having trouble with his bookkeeper at the moment.

Would I be able to jump right in? I don't have to be fully qualified or anything? I get on well with him and we've agreed I'd be doing him a favour because he needs someone reliable he can trust and I'll be getting that much needed experience out of it.

Lastly, if I were to purchase SAGE Accounts 2012 (his old bookkeeper used 2010 version), would I only be able to use it on just the one company? £700 for one company?! £250 for each additional or something like that? I've got a few other business owners I know so it'd be helpful to find out where I can go, what I can do etc.

He doesn't employ anyone it's all run himself so it's literally just invoices, VAT returns etc.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh and it'd involve in helping out with one or two other areas of the company too if that helps, mostly done from home though.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If you are a student member, you are allowed to offer your services as long as you only act within your competence and don't mention the AAT.

So, yes, jump right in. :D Only don't get Sage. As you've indicated, it's stupidly expensive. Look at Solar Accounts or VT Transaction +. One price, multiple companies, easy to use.
  • Makkusu
    Makkusu Registered Posts: 94 Regular contributor ⭐
    Monsoon wrote: »
    If you are a student member, you are allowed to offer your services as long as you only act within your competence and don't mention the AAT.

So, yes, jump right in. :D Only don't get Sage. As you've indicated, it's stupidly expensive. Look at Solar Accounts or VT Transaction +. One price, multiple companies, easy to use.

Thanks. The only thing is the last bookkeeper has been using Sage for the past year or so and all of a sudden ditched only the file via email back to the company owner, not sure if there's a way of opening the file with other programmes or even having a peek to transfer across balances/customer info etc.

Will definitely look into other programmes if not now but later. Cheers.

I've already started some online marketing for the company, be good for my CV if I can help this company survive over the next few months!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Ah I see. Well, see if there is anyone you can find to open the file and extract the balances. Are you sure it needs Big Sage? Might it be ok with Instant (£125 ish)? Either way, get the client to buy the software they need, dont put yourself out.
Privacy Policy