Struggling with ICAS project

Options
Sparkly
Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Bit of background - I'm doing ICAS distance learning online classroom, based on an AAT case study.

Having finally got going and had feedback on sections 4 (Intro to he organisation) and 5 (The accounts dept), i'm trying to catch up with section 6 (The accounting system) but for the past few days have been staring at a blank screen and getting nowhere. I'm looking at the guidance notes provided by my learning provider which tell me that I should start with a general review of how the accounting systems are structured, but I just can't get my head around this, how to approach it or where to start, maybe its the term 'structured' i'm just not sure! I have tried to get an idea by looking at the sample case study and report in my text book but it seems to be structured differnelty to how we are being guided to do the report.

Is there anyone who has already got to grips with the section who could share any pointers to help get me going? I'm already behind schedule due to illness and have got myself worrying I won't get the project completed in time as I feel I'm getting nowhere!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Sparkly wrote: »
    Bit of background -

............ I'm looking at the guidance notes provided by my learning provider which tell me that I should start with a general review of how the accounting systems are structured, but I just can't get my head around this, how to approach it or where to start,............

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Why don't you start by creating an organisational chart.

Then focus on the accounting departments, start to describe/function of each accounting department.

Once the pen starts flowing, you will soon start to cover the ICAS project criterias. However, keep reading the criteria and keep a copy open when you are writing your project.

Gook luck with your project
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I agree, an Organisation chart (Powerpoint) will help you focus on the different sections of the department, how their systems feed into each other, and ultimately provide "control"
    I started an A4 sheet for each section; accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash book, payroll etc, then as I read the notes through, I jotted down the tasks/challenges on the appropriate sheet, to build up the overall picture, and identify where the problems were.
    I did Inkwell, although everyone else on here seems to be doing Cookridge Carpets.
    Good luck
  • Sparkly
    Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks for your advice both, I think I'm getting somewhere now! Suddenly something started to flow! Lets hope that happens too with the other sections!
    Guinea Pig - I'm doing Inkwell and like you I noriced everyone seems to do Cookridge Carpets! I was begining to think I was the only person who had been issued Inkwell!
Privacy Policy