ATT training provider

reader
reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Does anyone know if Tolley's correspondence course materials for ATT are any good?

I'm planning on buying paper 1 (ptax), paper 2 (btax), law, ethics and legislation for £666.20

I'm planning on doing papers 1 and 2 in May 2012, and then law and ethics shortly after.

I have no idea why I'm buying the legislation book.

Then I plan on doing VAT and business compliance during December 2012.

I know that I don't have to do paper 2 (as I've passed aat btax) and I only have to do 1 option paper but I don't think there's any harm in doing as many papers as possible.

I hope this qualification is worth the money!

Comments

• deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I'm sure everyone will have their preference but I have used Tolleys, BPP and FTC in my various courses of study and found Tolleys material (and courses) to be the best.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've not used Tolley's, but I've seen a study pack for an ATT module and I did think it looked good. It seemed to guide you through it all a bit better than the TQT (BPP) books I used, though I do like the TQT books.
  • JJH1969
    JJH1969 Registered Posts: 110 Epic contributor 🐘
    You need the law books to help you in your exam. You should study whilst looking through these and become familiar with where things are otherwise there is just too much to remember in the exam :-)
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    I did my study with Tolleys. They are excellent – full stop!

I think you are wise to be doing paper 2. Although you have done enough to fulfil the exemption requirements I personally believe that no credits should be given for AAT qualified starting the ATT (pretty bold statement I know)! However, having done both personal tax and business tax at AAT level and I am now ATT qualified I hope I don’t get too much backlash!

The depth of knowledge required at ATT level for me is the difference. For me ATT is the natural progression from AAT but exemption, I’m not so sure!

The ATT is definitely worth the money and more important than that, the TIME invested!

The legislation books can be taking into the exam hall with you. So long as you learn how to read and use this books effectively you can pick up a couple of easy marks – easy marks and actually reading these books are too different things!

Regards

Dean
  • reader
    Thanks for your replies.

Conincidentally I've received my Tolley books today.

I received two packs for Paper 1 (Personal tax and Capital gains).

One pack for the law e-assessment.

One pack for the ethics e-assessment.

5 yellow handbooks and 2 orange handbooks. I'm not sure why there are two different colours- direct vs. indirect tax? Are these the legislation books I can take into the exam?

For some reason I'm more excited than daunted by all this info.
  • Dean
    reader wrote: »
    5 yellow handbooks and 2 orange handbooks. I'm not sure why there are two different colours- direct vs. indirect tax? Are these the legislation books I can take into the exam?

Yes & yes.

Ethics e-assessment! Grrrr! I'm a bitter and twister Paper 7 man myself!

Best of luck in your studies.

Regards

Dean
  • Monsoon
    reader wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.

Conincidentally I've received my Tolley books today.

I received two packs for Paper 1 (Personal tax and Capital gains).

One pack for the law e-assessment.

One pack for the ethics e-assessment.

For some reason I'm more excited than daunted by all this info.

Oh! The e-assessments syllabus are out. Guess I can't put them off any longer then... Best get cracking in Feb I think. They are all I have left to do now.

Good luck Reader!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Oh! The e-assessments syllabus are out. Guess I can't put them off any longer then... Best get cracking in Feb I think. They are all I have left to do now.

Good luck Reader!

http://www.tolleytraining.co.uk/documents/att/May%202012%20ATT%20dates%20and%20prices.pdf
    £60 per e-assessment for a correspondence course. That's pretty good actually. I need serious help to pass these, so I will probably get these in Feb. Argh......
  • reader
    Hi Monsoon

I think the last paper based assessment for law and ethics was during the November 2011 session.

The e-assessments for law and ethics are available from 01 March 2012:

http://www.att.org.uk/students/ATT+Exams+From+2012

You can book and pay for them via the ATT website.

They are held at the same places that driving theory tests are held.

These e-assessments are the same e-assessments used by CTA students, consequently if you decide to do CTA afterwards you get two exemptions.

What ATT papers have you sat? How long did it take you to study for each paper: 2 months, 4 months, 6 months?

I've got personal tax on 01 May 2012 and I haven't started revising yet.
  • Monsoon
    Thanks Reader. Yeah, I'd sussed out the exams themselves, but wasn't aware the study material was out.

I registered in April 08, did BTAP in Nov 08 with no revision, and then realised I was exempt :D I passed because it was just stuff I did everyday.

I then had a break.

Did personal tax in May 2011, probably started studying properly in March. Did VAT in Nov 2011 and crammed for a week. Don't follow my study model, haha.

ATT Personal tax is 10 times harder than AAT personal tax. And, by god, it makes you realise how inadequate the AAT tax exams are for real life. You don't know what you don't know, until you realise it. I'm so, so pleased I took ATT and I actually look back in horror to think I was practising without all that knowledge before it. But hey ho, you live and learn.

I put in for Paper7 in November too, knowing it was the final sitting, and knowing that if I passed the last 2 in Nov I wouldn't have ot pay £80 to renew my pass from Nov 08, but rapidly realised I didn't have a hope in hell of passing it, so deferred. I've got the exam fee carried forwards against the e-assessments. Which, again, I hope to hell I can pass. I saw that they count towards the CTA, and after my VAT exam I decided I'd like to do CTA if I can. I know I can do the simpler CTA papers, it's just the more in depth ones that will be a big challenge. But, I'm up for it.

Good luck with yours!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    E-assessments? Pah..

It was so much harder back in my day...!!!

;)
  • Dean
    E-assessments? Pah..

It was so much harder back in my day...!!!

;)

Haha!!
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but....

Have most people studied via correspondence course for ATT or a course by a training provider such as BPP/Kaplan attending one of their training venues.

I have also passed both personal and business tax with AAT but after reading the above comments will take the Business Tax paper and not take advantage of the exemption!!
  • Monsoon
    Home study for ATT here.
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but....

Have most people studied via correspondence course for ATT or a course by a training provider such as BPP/Kaplan attending one of their training venues.

I have also passed both personal and business tax with AAT but after reading the above comments will take the Business Tax paper and not take advantage of the exemption!!
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you choose business tax higher skills as your option you may as well take the exemption in my opinion because you will have to pretty much cover all the information on the business tax unit anyway. At least that was the case when I did my exams but I know the units have changed since then.

If you are doing another unit it is probably a good idea to study the business tax unit but it might be worth taking the exemption but still studying the unit because it will likely cost you more to sit the exam than to take the exemption. Unless of course you want to take the exam to prove that you have learnt the unit.
  • Dean
    Correspondence course for me.

Regards

Dean
Privacy Policy