Client in inspection - gone Awol!!

ademoore
ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all,

I was wondering what others would do in the situation where a client is under inspection - very likely to be looking at a high penalty, has dragged their feet all through the process (so far 6 months running) and now not to be heard from, by me (their accountant) or even their family (I am now aware!) for the last two weeks.

I feel i need to keep communications open with the inspector, as there is nothing to hide, however, I feel I am always just passing excuses for the client now.

What to do next - I know the inspector wants to close this, I do for sure, but client insistent on burying head in the sand it seems. :(

Comments

• Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    You can lead a horse to water....

Regards

Dean
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Yep, what Dean said.

I would contact him (in writing? last known address? email? whatever's available) and say either he contacts you with x, y, and z by DATE and that's his final reminder for this matter or you'll have to consider drawing a line under it all. Spell out very clearly the pros of getting this over with, and the cons of leaving it even longer. And then get on with other work. You can lead a horse to water... And we are accountants, not nannies.

Good luck!
  • ademoore
    ademoore Registered Posts: 146 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Thanks, relieved, that exact response kept churning around my head, but had wondered if I was being too harsh!! :)
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Monsoon wrote: »
    And we are accountants, not nannies.

Are you sure about that one? :)
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Rinske wrote: »
    Are you sure about that one?

We are part time nannies who are not ultimately reponsible for our charges' welfare? :lol:
Privacy Policy