AAT Level 3 Distance learning course...

darrengadd1
darrengadd1 Registered Posts: 18 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi guys,

Could anyone advise me on where to start if im honest i am finding it hard to get into it all.

Any tips you lovely people?

Darren,

Comments

• fishyfeet
    fishyfeet Registered Posts: 5 Regular contributor โญ
    im doing the course distance learning also, dont know what you problem is you start at ap1
  • darrengadd1
    AAT Level 3 Distance learning course...

Well yes that is true but i mean how do you make yourself study and keep up with it?

I cant seem to get into it though i have read 3/4 of the book.

Which provider are you with?
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hi Darren

I am doing level 3 but through college, I would say it doesn't matter where you start obviously you need to do AP1 before AP2, and Spreedsheets takes longer to be marked.

We have started with the smaller subjects first like PEAF and Indirect Tax.

Good luck in whatever you decide there are plenty of people with helpful ideas and have done the subjects if you get stuck.

Jan
  • darrengadd1
    Cheers Jan,

Good stuff :) i must seem like a right stupid person but tbh i have v low attention span so just trying to get into it. Surely others have this issue.
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Hello Darren

Have you tried playing music whilst studying? I don't mean playing it loud... unless you can study that way - but I find that sometimes deathly silence is uncomfortable so put some calming/relaxing music on - I find some classical tracks very helpful when studying.

Regards where to start, like Jan said, you can start where you like, however some modules will complement others. I started Level 3 with AP1 and AP2, followed by CRS, PEAF, CMGT, ITX and SPSW, whereas a friend of mine started with CRS and then AP1, AP2 etc. Do let us know if you are not sure what the modules are.

Good luck with it all :)

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Set clear acheivable goals and reward yourself for acheiving them.

I have a tendancy to get distracted -apparently the human brain only has an attention span of about 20 minutes - which is why any good teacher will break up a class with different types of activities.

As a distance learner I apply the same sort of approach. I study for 15 minutes (usually until I get to the end of a chapter or section) then I go and make a cuppa, or have 10 minutes on FB as my "reward" then do the questions from the end of the chapter or try and recall out loud the bullet points from the chapter I just read.

I find I remember more when I break it down in to small chunks.
  • darrengadd1
    Thanks Jo,

I have thought about playing music before sounds worth a try, i know what the modules are and i have started AP1 so far its just not sinking in at the moment plus i had a break from studying from nov to jan as i was job searching while working and it go too much to do all 3 things (went a bit mad i think). Prior to that it was going okish.

I like your quote too very inspiring do you use quotes like that to spur you on? I think i need to change my study approach i floated through level 2 using little effort but i think now i need to seriously change my approach.

Darren,
  • darrengadd1
    Thanks uknitty,

Sounds a good idea then i can ensure i do not get too distracted. I do have a tendancy to either stray off every 5 mins or force myself to carry on for an hour or so because i am frustrated with myself and as you say it gets me knowhere as i do not take it all in.

Do you worry about time taken to learn a course or do you feel its best to go on at your own pace and get there eventually? or are set deadlines and pressure a good thing to motivate you to learn?
  • uknitty
    I started at level 2 in January 2010 and 2 years later I only have one exam left at level 4 - and I took a complete break for 3 months as I had a baby in November 2010, so when I sit my last exam in March it will have taken me 2 years and 3 months (3 of which were a planned break !) to complete the whole course.

Do I have deadlines ? I prefer to think of things in terms of small manageable objectives, I do tend to study to some extent almost every day, and it is that little but often apprach that keeps my momentum going.
  • darrengadd1
    Wow you've done great uknitty just a 3 month break :O I like this advice and the forum idea. Do you find the forum a good bit of inspiration as its a regular thing for you? I see you joined the forum almost straight away after you started. I have had a word with work collegues and like you they advise on bits at a time its like getting fit they say really do bits at a time and build it up so it becomes habbit.

A baby as well must be a distraction so well done!!! I have no distractions except from male thoughts so i really should be getting on with it lol.
  • uknitty
    I would be lost without the forum and FB page. It definitely motivates me knowing that other people have passed, or it makes me feel better when I realise I'm not the only person tearing my hair out over a particular part of the course.

I break up my studying by coming on here and chatting. There are so many knowledge people on the forums who have lots of experience to share.

I think the main thing is that whilst it is important to set a pace that you feel comfortable with, there is no rush to get AAT completed in the shortest time possible. I'd say try and keep your momentum steady, and your pace of study at a level you can easily manage.

The exercise anaolgy is a good one - you may have to train more a bit before and exam, but the rest of the time a little and often is the best way to stay in shape !
  • darrengadd1
    awsome you awsome person....I am sitting here studying and happy to be doing so with the smiths playiing queitly. Thanks to the great advice from here.

Thank you for your time btw. Good Luck for your exam though I am certain you will pass easily!

:D
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I am sitting here studying and happy to be doing so with the smiths playiing queitly. Thanks to the great advice from here.
    :D

Darren, is the music helping you concentrate/focus?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • darrengadd1
    Its nice to have some backround noise at a volume that is enough to focus on the text im scribbling notes by what i read at the same time to show myself that i have developed an understanding also. I can also map my progress from this too.

As its music i enjoy i feel more inclined to sit here through it and as its occupying my ears where tv would occupy both eyes and ears my eyes can afford to look at black and white text.

I feel comfortable too in this set up.

Thanks Jo for your advice too.
Privacy Policy