New Client - Authorisation

Options
JamesB
JamesB Registered Posts: 51 Epic contributor 🐘
Hello all,

I am in the process of becoming a MIP and have been approached by a friend of a friend to do his tax return.

His current accountant/authorised agent has not been very reliable so he has left him and wants me to be his accountant from now on.

I am not set up as a HMRC agent yet so was going to suggest he submits it himself but I just help him complete it so to speak.

Can I do this and if so will he need to set up a new online account to submit the return?

I assume he already has an account but this is under the previous agents umbrella?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Regards,

James

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yes, I would say that he should set up a personal account. I think if he does set up a personal account and then if you set up as a agent at a later date he can just enter your 'government gateway' name and would then be on your list.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    If you're using software then as long as you have his UTR you should find you can submit his return through your software; certainly Iris allows you to submit personal tax returns without needing the client to be on your authorised client list.

Otherwise yes, as JodieR says, there's no reason why you can't use his individual HMRC Online login details and submit the return through HMRC's 'software', and then add him to your client list once your set up as an agent.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    If you're using software then as long as you have his UTR you should find you can submit his return through your software; certainly Iris allows you to submit personal tax returns without needing the client to be on your authorised client list.

Ftax lets you do this too, but I've still got to enter my HMRC User ID and password for it to work (which JamesB doesn't have yet). Maybe Iris is different but I can't see HMRC accepting returns which aren't linked to any online account.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    JodieR wrote: »
    Ftax lets you do this too, but I've still got to enter my HMRC User ID and password for it to work (which JamesB doesn't have yet). Maybe Iris is different but I can't see HMRC accepting returns which aren't linked to any online account.

No, sorry, you're completely right! I'd completely overlooked the lack of Agent login details. Sorry JamesB!
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    JamesB wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am in the process of becoming a MIP and have been approached by a friend of a friend to do his tax return.

Just be careful what you do, say, and put in writing until you have your MIP licence and PII. Especially if he's a friend.
Privacy Policy