Sage Trial Balance help please

Options
Blonde Accountant
Blonde Accountant Registered Posts: 86 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

My tb on sage does not balance. I don't know how to go about correcting this. I think that there are some codes that it is not including, but I am not sure how to make it include them.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Nicola

Comments

• mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Nicola
    You can go into the chart of accounts and run the check option - this should highlight any missed codes that need to be added to make the TB balance.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    Is it the TB that doesn't balance or the Balance Sheet? I've not used the COA tool for a while so perhaps it's changed, but I seem to remember that the COA doesn't affect the TB. Apologies if I've got that wrong!
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    If it is the Balance Sheet that doesn't balance then correct COA will need to be altered. If it is the TB that doesnt balance, then have a look if there is any Goodwill. I have come across SAGE doubling up the Goodwill and Amortisation which makes the TB not balance.

Other than that you have to send a backup to SAGE and if you have the maintenance cover they will correct the TB and return a fixed version to you. This can take a couple of weeks last time I used the service.
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Have you tried running the 'check data' option in Sage maintenance? (A pop up asks you if you want to check it when you back up the programme). This may indicate any anomalies that could require sorting out but I would check the COA first anyway.
  • Blonde Accountant
    Options
    Thank-you for the replies, it is the trail balance not the balance sheet. I am there tomorrow so I will do all of your suggestions and see what happens.
  • Blonde Accountant
    Options
    Hi all, so I went in to-day and went into COA and ran the check option. It is not representing the following codes :

How do I make it include these codes please, if anyone knows?

Many thanks
  • totleyblade
    totleyblade Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    The 8000 rage of nominal codes in Sage is within the range of Overheads on the P&L. Before you add them to the COA you really need to identify what they represent, i.e are there any transactions in them and if so, are they actually overheads? Once you have identified that they are overheads for example, it is fairly straightforward to include them in the COA.
    Go into 'Chart of Accounts' in financials, then 'edit'.
    On the left hand side of the window that appears click on 'overheads'.
    A range of nominal codes for overheads will appear on the right. The bottom one will probably be called 'General Expenses' or similar. To the right there are two columns Low and High. For example, the General Expenses will show typically a range from 8200 to 8299. If you want to include your unallocated codes to General Expenses change the high figure - 8299 to 8999. This should then bring all the codes between 8200 and 8999 into the COA, recorded under the overheads - General Expenses umbrella.
Privacy Policy