Next Steps...

Alicia
Alicia Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello everyone,

Just thought i would get a feel for what people do next after AAT?

I am nearing the end of Level 4 and would just like find out other peoples opinions?

I am currently working in a limited company in accounts on my own. I love what i do, i am just not sure whether i should settle with my qualifications or study further. The long slog of being a fully qualified accountant seems a long way away!

Thanks

Alicia xx

Comments

• Luby
    Luby Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    I can only speak for myself and I have every intention of going onto ACCA (Provided I pass this year). I currently work in an accounting firm as opposed to one company so I'm doing it to help further my knowledge and hopefully expand my options. If you'll be supported I see no reason not to go for further study it only helps your knowledge and gives more oppurtunities should you heaven forbid ever suddenly dislike your current position. I'm not sure how your studying but it will only take a further two years for me to become fully qualified if theres no hiccups along the way so I dont consider that to be too much of a slog for fully qualified accountant status.
  • lk01
    lk01 Registered Posts: 8 Regular contributor ⭐
    I'm in a different yet similar situation! I started level 3 in my second year of college and am now completing level 4 so I'm still young. Although I have this qualification, I don't have any experience in an accounting firm. Now I am finishing education obviously I'd like to start my career in accounting. But I just don't know what steps to take! I'm not confident I can just go into an accounting firm and know what I am doing. Maybe I should just write to some local firms with a CV and state that I'm looking for a trainee accounting job.

I just wish at the beginning of college I knew that I wanted a career in accounting else I would have got myself an apprentiship! But that wasn't the case, I can't complain though because I have done the whole qualification now for free (because of my age) which I feel very lucky for!

I would consider moving onto ACCA, however, I definitly wouldn't unless I had a job in accounting as I think it would just simply be too hard!

Any advice?
  • Luby
    Luby Registered Posts: 51 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi LK I did go into an apprenticeship straight out of school and doing my level 4 now. I must say you can notice the difference between people not working in accounting and people who are in jobs as some things just seem to click quicker mainly because they can draw on work experiences. I think it always helps having a job because the two integrate when Im at work if I get confused over something I can draw on my college knowledge and more times than not I was required to learn something before college had taught it to me so when that subject did come round I kind off already knew what was I doing. I cant comment on ACCA as I havent done it either but if you can get a job in the accountancy role prior I reckon that'd give you a massive boost. Id reccomend writing to firms but don't just put your looking for a trainee job I'd put you have the AAT qualifications but looking at a job in the real world so although your qualified you understand that the real world is invariably different to the college accounting as in a classroom everything is perfect - If only clients were the same
  • Alicia
    Alicia Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Luby

Sorry if this question is naive but why would completing the ACCA only take 2 years for you?

I have been looking online with the ACCA and have come across some information that states it takes 3 years and maybe 4 depends on if there any hiccups along the way.

For the majority of my AAT course i have self funded and studied from home rather than at work. I have a little boy who is 1 and this has worked quite well for me even if i have lost momentum once or twice along the way!

Thanks

Alicia xx
Privacy Policy