How many CPD events are you allowed to attend?

Options
stefanboro
stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all,

Just looking at all of the different AAT CPD events - I'm very impressed. Just have 2 quick questions:

1. Is there a yearly limit of the number of events you are allowed to attend?
2. Are you only allowed to attend branch meetings where you live? I.e. If I happen to be in the Birmingham area when a CPD branch event is on am I allowed to attend? There doesn't appear to be anything stopping me booking it so I would imagine not.

And I suppose, lastly, how valuable are these events to those who have attended?

Thanks

Stefan

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    1. No! just as many as your concentration & wallet permit! although i did attend one once where the speaker told us about a man who attended 3 of the same VAT seminars in different locations just to get in his CPD hours... that's a no-no apparently (but now that CPD's not hours-based i don't suppose it matters!)
    2. I don't think anyone would mind - I've only ever been to the Newcastle ones and all that happens there is there's a signing in sheet where you enter your name and your email address and previously your AAT number but even that wasn't on the sheet last week. No-one is questioned as to who they are and where they're from.

Personally I generally find the mastercourses much more useful than the branch events. The mastercourses are actual real updates on the world of tax and accounts etc which have been compiled especially for AAT members whereas the branch events are usually a speaker from an organisation (HMRC, Co House, Sage, ACAS, insolvency practitioner etc) who comes and gives a talk about what they do so it's useful to get a better understanding of how the organisations which we deal with work, but a lot of it is about them telling you how wonderful they are and then seeming surprised if anyone raises a question which questions their brilliance!
  • stefanboro
    stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    JodieR wrote: »
    1. No! just as many as your concentration & wallet permit! although i did attend one once where the speaker told us about a man who attended 3 of the same VAT seminars in different locations just to get in his CPD hours... that's a no-no apparently (but now that CPD's not hours-based i don't suppose it matters!)
    2. I don't think anyone would mind - I've only ever been to the Newcastle ones and all that happens there is there's a signing in sheet where you enter your name and your email address and previously your AAT number but even that wasn't on the sheet last week. No-one is questioned as to who they are and where they're from.

Personally I generally find the mastercourses much more useful than the branch events. The mastercourses are actual real updates on the world of tax and accounts etc which have been compiled especially for AAT members whereas the branch events are usually a speaker from an organisation (HMRC, Co House, Sage, ACAS, insolvency practitioner etc) who comes and gives a talk about what they do so it's useful to get a better understanding of how the organisations which we deal with work, but a lot of it is about them telling you how wonderful they are and then seeming surprised if anyone raises a question which questions their brilliance!

Thanks for the insight Jodie.

I am looking forward to attending one already.
Privacy Policy