my services for free

Options
stuartander
stuartander Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in my bookkeeping services for free.
I am AAT qualified with 4.5 years of industry experience.
I am interested in all aspects of bookkeeping and accounting.
I want to gain that little bit more experience for a go at it alone in a years time.
All I am asking for is a reference on my CV.
Please let me know if anyone is interested, probably easier to email me today stuartander@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Stuart Anderton

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    A very generous offer, but it might help if you tell us where-abouts your're based!
  • stuartander
    Options
    Oops, im sorry, I am based in Reading, Berkshire :)
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hello,

I'm in much the same position, though I work in the not for profit sector. I wrote to a handful of local MIPs and was lucky enough for a couple to come back to me.

I am lucky in that my working hours are flexible and I rearranged things to free up a day, but I now work on that day in practice and I'm being paid (even though that was not my intention!!)

Good luck with finding someone, I would write a few letters though as the 2 people I spoke to don't actually look at the forum!
  • stuartander
    Options
    Hi Ellabobbin,

Thanks for the advise :)
    Well done to you :)

Stuart
  • mac1
    mac1 Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I started voluntary work for a branch of Abacus Accountants Network at the beginning of last month. Quite enjoyable and the guy is ensuring I get as much exerience in as many services that they provide as possible, so worth it, as much of it I haven't done before in my accounting roles. Of course, this is good for the CV and Linked In profile also.

Could do with getting paid, but, that might be a possibility once business picks up in the future.
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Options
    mac1 wrote: »
    I started voluntary work for a branch of Abacus Accountants Network at the beginning of last month. Quite enjoyable and the guy is ensuring I get as much exerience in as many services that they provide as possible, so worth it, as much of it I haven't done before in my accounting roles. Of course, this is good for the CV and Linked In profile also.

Could do with getting paid, but, that might be a possibility once business picks up in the future.

Is there any chance that they would consider looking for another? I'm currently on level 3 and am unemployed and, would give my right arm for some practical practice experience. I have over 14 years of accounts roles experience, and have completed an ICB equivalent course last year at BCOT. I'd be grateful for an introduction if possible :)
  • mac1
    mac1 Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    MarkT wrote: »
    Is there any chance that they would consider looking for another? I'm currently on level 3 and am unemployed and, would give my right arm for some practical practice experience. I have over 14 years of accounts roles experience, and have completed an ICB equivalent course last year at BCOT. I'd be grateful for an introduction if possible :)

See PM. Sorry, I've only just seen your post!
  • imeldabye
    imeldabye Registered Posts: 147 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    ellabobbin, would you mind if I emailed you/pm'd you?
    I am about to do a small targetted mailing to local accountancy practices offering bookkeeping - either low paid or voluntary as I am desperately trying to broaden experience and work alongside fellow accountants.
  • Ellabobbin
    Ellabobbin Registered Posts: 92 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    imeldabye wrote: »
    ellabobbin, would you mind if I emailed you/pm'd you?
    I am about to do a small targetted mailing to local accountancy practices offering bookkeeping - either low paid or voluntary as I am desperately trying to broaden experience and work alongside fellow accountants.

Hi, no worries pm me and I'll help if I can:001_smile:
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Imelda, where are you based?
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I know this is a MIP thread and I am not a MIP, but I find the general theme of this thread a bit disturbing. I appreciate that everyone is desparate to gain experience which at the moment is harder to get than moon dust. But surely working for free in a profit making sector is not good. Long live volunteering in the third sector, but if we all start working for nothing in the private and public sectors there will be no accounting profession. How can an Accountant make a living when there is one aound the corner that will offer their services for nothing.

I enjoy being an accountant, but I need to earn money to live and being an accountant is how I earn money.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    It can be a tricky situation.

There are certainly many examples of industries that use and abuse staff that should be paid properly and aren't because people are desperate to get in the industry (Film, TV, Media and Fashion are the worst offenders).

I don't think accountancy will ever go down that route but, from a legal perspective, any 'employer' needs to make sure they do not fall foul of the national minimum wage regulations and the difference between voluntary work experience and free labour can sometimes be a bit cloudy.

From my perspective, as someone who knocked on the door of every accountant in my local yellow pages as a university drop out, before I received only one invite to an interview, I fully support someone wanting to 'show and prove themselves' for free. As admirably (and beneficial) as volunteering in the 3rd sector is, that experience often counts for very little when accountants in practice want a trainee 'with experience'.

When I have the time I am happy to take a volunteer for 2 or 3 weeks (if they wish) to help show them the ropes but I do not in any way see it as free labour. I would have to give up a hell of a lot of my time to teach that person how to do things and have them shadow what I do. If I needed paid staff I would pay them. If somebody is desperate to get some experience, I'll give it to them.

Anyone who volunteers and ends up doing menial admin tasks without learning anything of relevance should be putting in a claim for NMW. Anyone who uses a volunteer to prepare a set of accounts from incomplete records will need to go through it with a fine toothcomb anyway.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options

When I have the time I am happy to take a volunteer for 2 or 3 weeks (if they wish) to help show them the ropes but I do not in any way see it as free labour. I would have to give up a hell of a lot of my time to teach that person how to do things and have them shadow what I do. If I needed paid staff I would pay them. If somebody is desperate to get some experience, I'll give it to them.

Anyone who volunteers and ends up doing menial admin tasks without learning anything of relevance should be putting in a claim for NMW. Anyone who uses a volunteer to prepare a set of accounts from incomplete records will need to go through it with a fine toothcomb anyway.

This. 100% this.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I just wanted to know if anyone would be interested in my bookkeeping services for free.
    I am AAT qualified with 4.5 years of industry experience.
    I am interested in all aspects of bookkeeping and accounting.
    I want to gain that little bit more experience for a go at it alone in a years time.
    All I am asking for is a reference on my CV.
    Please let me know if anyone is interested, probably easier to email me today stuartander@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Stuart Anderton

I'd very very specific about what you can do in your applications.

As Dean and Monsoon have said above, a lot of people are put off by the big investment in time needed for some volunteers. We've had a few over the years, some definitely more hassle then they're worth. You do want to help people, but unless theres some gurantees about how long they're stay it can make you reluctant to take someone.

Although it does sound like you're above that level stuart.
Privacy Policy