Can AAT qualified work in NY

Options
bwestella
bwestella Registered Posts: 7 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all,

As title states can a fully qualified AAT work in the New York region?
Or would they require a higher education such as ACCA?

Thank you.

Comments

• SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Yes, of course.

I worked in Chicago in the 1980s with no accounting qualifications. The business needed an analyst of financial performance and because the owner had liked the work I'd done in London, he offered me the job and arranged the necessary paperwork.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Options
    Hi,

I hate to go against what a respected member of this forum has said, but, Sandy, during the 1980's the US was in a decline of a lot of services and had a 'brain drain' as some of them referred to. Nowadays, the company has to go through the hoops to provide a lot of proof that they need someone from oversea's to fill a job.

This is done by means of producing to the relevant departments that they have advertised the job and have not had any success in finding suitable applicants. They (the employer) has to then apply on the prospective employees behalf for either a H1B or H2B work visa.

The short answer is yes, but I would say that finding the employer that would take the AAT over ACCA is going to be the hardest task considering the level of unemployment in the US at this time.
  • bwestella
    Options
    Ok, thanks for info guys.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    bwestella wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for info guys.

They toughened up their accounting standards after Enron / Worldcom etc, so would be well worth reading up on SOX!
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I think CIMA have recently done a deal with CPA in America...
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Options
    Louise89 wrote: »
    There is still the issue of a visa though. You can go and work in the US, but without a visa - 10 year ban from entering the US and the employer can face the wrath of the DHS
  • bwestella
    Options
    Louise89 wrote: »

Well it took me a while to decide on which out of ACCA and CIMA, but maybe CIMA is back on the cards now!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    MarkT
    I agree with you.

bwestella
    Has a company from NY approached you to go and work for them?
    If so, they will take on the sponsorship of your employment

If on the other hand you are just thinking that a job in NY sounds interesting, this is much more difficult.

Just as in the UK, it will be your ability to do the jobs someone wants doing that will be critical. I am very much aware of men and women in very many countries studying ACCA and CIMA almost as full-time students. These people have very little accounting experience, and in my opinion are not especially appealing to prospective employers.

So don't put yourself down if you think that you are applying for a job and competing with ACCA qualifieds, you might have more experience, and more relevant experience than they have.

If working in NY is your ambition, look at working in the UK for a US company which happily moves staff around the world.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
Privacy Policy