Remembering facts

Options
KaelaH
KaelaH Registered Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
I am due to sit my first ATT exam in May and am struggling in a big way to remember facts for the exam. The practical questions and ones which require the legislation I am kind of ok with, however, when asked to "show how the term 'plant' has been interpreted by the courts, using examples from decided cases" for example, I am rubbish. Can barely remember the definition of plant let alone the cases. It's annoying because I can answer standard Capital Allowance questions, can pretty much remember what is accounted for in what way etc but when it comes to writing a text answer on case law I become a goldfish!!
Does anybody have any tips for recall of this type of info that has worked for you?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    I don't remember this type of question in any of the 3 ATT exams I've done. I'd be inclined to wing it and make sure I made up the marks elsewhere in the paper (which may be why I don't remember them!)

Sorry, not much help, I know. If I had to remember something like that, I would just keep reading and writing and reading and writing and hope it came back to me in the exam.
  • clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    Visualise a digger or item of plant. Look at each section of it and associate each section with a particular bit of the description for plant and make it colourful! I can't think of an example how this would work but I apply a similar logic to my studies.

If you fancy blowing your mind try this; http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Memory-Palace
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Hi Kaela,

There are various memory systems which you can use, but for the type of recall you want you do need to put a bit of effort in to using your brain a slightly different way. I would start with the peg system where you turn a number into an object. For example for 20 minutes a day (not much) go through the numbers 1-10 and associate the numbers with images. Eg. 1 = Bun or Nun, 2 = Duck, 3 = Tree, 4 = Door etc.....

Once you have done that go over it a few times...........then write 15, 20 , 30 random numbers down and use your images to go on a magical journey in your living room for example, from left to right.

For example if you choose 5, 8, 1, 0, 9, 7 etc..... I would do something like this....I walk in through my living room door and there is a Hive (5) hanging down made of gold honey with bees flying towards me. I suddenly shrink and the bee calls over to me asks me if i want a ride on his back, I jump on his back and fly to the corner of the room but crash into this huge gate!!(8) Its the pearly gates and beside it is a Nun (1) dressed in black pointing down to a big huge hole(0) in the ground etc......

This gets your mind working slightly differently but the benefits are worth it, you will find that in no time at all you can remember about 50 or 60 numbers no problem even after a few minutes of looking at them....and usually you can recall them a few weeks later.

You have also just created your first room in your memory palace. There is loads of information on the net about memory palaces. But for you the most important thing is getting your mind used to making these images and creating stories with them. The more unusual the story and fantastic and bright the images, the better....your brain likes to remember amazing things.

Good luck!
Privacy Policy