ICAS 1st draft feedback

Options
reader
reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hi all,

I've been working on my ICAS project the last 3.5 months; so far I've written 3,000 words based on the practice I work for.

I'm hoping to submit my first draft within the next 2 weeks and was wondering what is the typical 1st draft feedback I should expect to get?

Also, am I right in thinking that I can re-submit another 4 drafts and the deadline for submitting the 2nd draft is a year after submitting the first?

Thanks for any help

Comments

  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Did anyone pass this unit first time?
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    If it's already been scheduled on Learnplus then you only have 16 weeks to complete the project so if you've already taken 3.5 months you've only got about 2 weeks left on it before it will expire. Not sure where you're getting a year from. The deadline can be extended at the discretion of your assessor but I wouldn't have thought anyone would extend it to one year.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I think the deadlines are:

    1st draft: 4 months from starting
    2nd - 5th drafts: 1 year from starting

    These deadlines are provided by the AAT in their student notes.

    What is the typical feedback that people are getting after they have submitted their 1st draft?

    Also, how many times are people submitting before they pass?
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Reader, I started this unit in the middle of June, and understood that it had to be completed within 4 months. I did the AAT scenario project (Inkwell) and submitted to my tutor after 2 months. I had to address several small points, and it came back Competent from the AAT late August. The subject of Fraud, is a big area, so make sure this is well covered. I used the Osborne book, which was really good.
    Good luck,
    GP
  • elizson
    elizson Registered Posts: 5 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    reader wrote: »
    Did anyone pass this unit first time?

    Yes, thankfully I did.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Thanks

    I've finished my 1st draft; 4,300 words

    I just have to show my project mentor and get him to write a witness testimony now

    Hopefully he doesn't get me to make too many changes

    And then submit via Learn Plus

    Need to start revising for ATT now
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    reader wrote: »
    Thanks

    I've finished my 1st draft; 4,300 words

    I just have to show my project mentor and get him to write a witness testimony now

    Hopefully he doesn't get me to make too many changes

    And then submit via Learn Plus

    Need to start revising for ATT now

    It's up to your assesor to decide whether any changes are needed not your mentor. It sounds like you're not being correctly advised on this unit. You need to contact your training provider quickly to get clarification before your time runs out.
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    coojee wrote: »
    It's up to your assesor to decide whether any changes are needed not your mentor. It sounds like you're not being correctly advised on this unit. You need to contact your training provider quickly to get clarification before your time runs out.

    I take your point regarding advice on this unit because I've never really taken any advice on this unit. I have procrastinated for 3.5 months and have had to churn out 4,000 words in a few days without taking any advise from my training provider.

    I'm pretty sure my mentor will insist on amendments and won't write a witness testimony unless I make the amendments. I say this because if he feels I'm presenting his business in a bad light, i.e. a business with a lack of controls/systems and hence fraud and error, he's not going to be happy.

    I wish I done the case study! Working in practice and doing this project is difficult.
  • nicd1981
    nicd1981 Registered Posts: 243 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    guinea pig wrote: »
    Hi Reader, I started this unit in the middle of June, and understood that it had to be completed within 4 months. I did the AAT scenario project (Inkwell) and submitted to my tutor after 2 months. I had to address several small points, and it came back Competent from the AAT late August. The subject of Fraud, is a big area, so make sure this is well covered. I used the Osborne book, which was really good.
    Good luck,
    GP

    Hi Guinea pig,

    I have written 2023 words and im struggling to write more
    We haven't started it in college yet but i was hoping to finish it today and submit it to college.
    I have done a swot analysis , do i have to do a pest analysis too?
    Any tips and ideas?

    Thanks in advance

    Nic xx
    Nicola Donnelly ,MAAT, MIP, CIMA Dip MA

    Email: donnellynicola7@gmail.com
    Facbook Page: MEND Accounting
    Blog: http://wannabeanaccountant.blogspot.co.uk
    Twitter: @mendaccounting
    Website: http://www.mendaccounting.co.uk
  • talinka
    talinka Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi,

    Can anyone advise please how do I request a case study from Kaplan?
  • AuntieT
    AuntieT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    reader wrote: »

    I'm pretty sure my mentor will insist on amendments and won't write a witness testimony unless I make the amendments. I say this because if he feels I'm presenting his business in a bad light, i.e. a business with a lack of controls/systems and hence fraud and error, he's not going to be happy.

    I wish I done the case study! Working in practice and doing this project is difficult.

    Completely understand, I got half way through and wished I'd done case study for the same reason! In the end because of how I worded things ended up with "have audit seen this?, they should!" rather than "remove that"

    Just waiting for the competent on MyAAT!
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    AuntieT wrote: »
    Completely understand, I got half way through and wished I'd done case study for the same reason! In the end because of how I worded things ended up with "have audit seen this?, they should!" rather than "remove that"

    Just waiting for the competent on MyAAT!

    I submitted my project last week.


    Thankfully my mentor didn't ask me to make any ammendments.

    I now have to wait for Kaplan to mark my project; this will probably take 4 weeks.

    I'm dreading them giving me a massive list of ammendments; it's the first time they are seeing my project.

    What you are planning on doing now you have finished AAT?
Privacy Policy