Requirements of MIP

Options
stuartander
stuartander Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

I have a few questions rregarding being granted MIP.

What is the ctual process, how long does it take?

With regards to my experience, i would be looking go be able to do Sel employed peoples tax returns as i do my own, and a friends at the moment, but would this be enough for the AAT to grant me doing this as part of my granted services.

I dont understnd how AAT assess what i can and cant do, any ideas??
I work full time as an accounts assistant for a Brand where i do all aspects of accounts & some management ac's ,
I subcontract to a bookkeeping firm,
I do my own and a friends SA,
i teach AAT once a week ata local college levels 2 and 3
Thanks for you help

Stuart

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would suggest that you give member services a call and have a chat with them.
  • stuartander
    stuartander Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I will do, just wondered what peoples thoughts were!
  • wildgoose1uk
    wildgoose1uk Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Best to chat to member services as TC suggests. The process changes over the years and you may get differing views due to the length of time people have been an MIP.
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    Member services are a very helpful bunch I have to say.

That said, I received my Practising Licence just last Friday so I've just been through the process myself. There are a few hoops to jump through; you need to complete the initial application which get submitted along with evidence of work experience (in my case, having also only just applied for AAT membership I used the work experience that had been signed off by another accountant which I used for the MAAT application and I also sent a CV-esque summary of my experience).

Once this is all approved you then need to complete an Ethics assessment and a Professional Standards assessment (both online with as many attempts as you need), and you also need to submit a further Licence Aapplication which summarises your experience of practice management and a Professional Reference recommending you for a licence.

I submitted my initial MIP Scheme application on 29 October and, as I say, received my licence on 10 February. Not especially quick, but I believe there were a few complications with mine so there was a little more correspondence backward and forward than there would usually be. I believe the general advice from the guys at AAT is that it'll take about 5 or 6 weeks for them to process an application.
Privacy Policy