"Agent registration, data controller" etc

Options
Pete12
Pete12 Registered Posts: 58 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi,

I thought I was almost ready to begin as an MiP but realise there are additional issues:

Do I have to register with the HMRC to operate as an agent (once and for all) or each time I act as an agent for a particular client and how are either done?

What is a "data controller"?

When do you have to register for data protection and how is it done?

Also, with regard to pricing for services, I realise the tiers are - very roughly:

Individual SA
More complex individual SA
Self employed
Ltd company

but where does a partnership come? I originally assumed it was a "a bit more than self-employed" but a lot less than Ltd company - so thought of pitching a quote closer to the former. On reflection, I suspect the the actual work/difficulty involved may be closer to that for a Ltd company.

Any advice would be very welcome!

Many thanks - Pete12.

Comments

• Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    To register yourself as an agent with HMRC go here:
    https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/agent

Once you have your agent ID and references you need to follow 64-8 / FB1 procedures for each client, which are explained here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/agents/authorisation/index.htm. You can still act for people without being their agent, if you have 3rd party software, but HMRC will not communicate with you.

All the information you need on being a data controller and the DPA is here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/notification.aspx
  • kateyliz
    kateyliz Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi
    I can't answer your question but have a question for you as I am in a similar position of hoping to set up as self employed soon - how have you based your pricing within the tiers you have identified? Are you doing a set fee for each tier?
    Thanks
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    AAT MIP Fees survey:

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?31626-AAT-2011-fees-survey-the-results

You have one registration as an agent with HMRC. This covers you for all clients.
  • Pete12
    Options
    katyliz,

The "tiers" "I have identified" are really those that I've come to realise are "obvious" to experienced MiPs - so much so that they tend not to refer to them as such; to someone new to practice they are not immediately obvious - until someone points them out/alludes to them.

The subject of fees is a recurring one on this forum and Monsoon has very usefully conducted a survey. However, you won't have to go back far/wait too long before you realise there are many different opinions/experiences with regard to setting fees - all of which are valid. I intend to use the advice of contributors to obtain a "working figure" for a particular service but then to check this against local charges - which I suspect is probably the most important consideration for a new MiP. If I were to charge the fees that some members deem acceptable or have heard of - I suspect I would be a very lonely MiP!

If anyone can advise - I'm still interested where/how you would pitch the charge for a partnership and two SA returns!

Pete12
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Pete12 wrote: Β»

If anyone can advise - I'm still interested where/how you would pitch the charge for a partnership and two SA returns!

Pete12

I agree with this:
    Pete12 wrote: Β»
    but where does a partnership come? I originally assumed it was a "a bit more than self-employed" but a lot less than Ltd company - so thought of pitching a quote closer to the former. On reflection, I suspect the the actual work/difficulty involved may be closer to that for a Ltd company

For some reason, I find partnerships always seem to be really complicated (because of the business itself, not the partnership structure).

If the business/accounts are dead easy then I would charge the same as a sole trader in the same trade, plus ~Β£150 for the extra SA100 plus the SA800.

However, in my experience partnerships end up being complicated (due to the bookkeeping) so my typical charge is usually Β£500-1000 depending on scope.

It's all about scope, and the complexity/quality of the bookkeeping.
  • Pete12
    Options
    Monsoon,

Many thanks. The partnership I am thinking of is likely to be complicated by the partners involved (I think this may be classed as the structure!). In fact, from what you have said I suppose initially pitching the fee at around 2 x sole-trader may land me in the right ballpark (assuming all else is OK) AND, although simplistic, it has the advantage of seeming reasonable as there are two people to consider. Hmm...

Pete12
Privacy Policy