What is the best way to get connected to the internet using my mobile phone?

Options
geek84
geek84 Registered Posts: 568 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi folks

I have an HTC Wildfire S. Usually, when I click on the internet icon, the phone connects to the internet (after about 20 or 30 seconds).

However, there is also an option on my phone to turn on the wi-fi, before attempting to connect to the internet.

Can someone please advice the purpose of this wi-fi and the pros/cons of turning it on prior to attempting to connect to the internet.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    On mine, if I start the wifi then I connect via the home broadband rather than the phone company signal.

It's quicker and costs less!
  • MarkT
    MarkT Registered Posts: 302
    Options
    On mine, if I start the wifi then I connect via the home broadband rather than the phone company signal.

It's quicker and costs less!

Exactly!!

Me and the missus have a max of 2gb / month on our phones and only use the 3g when out - otherwise, we use the wifi at home.

Her HTC desire is also pretty neat as it can perform as it own wifi - therefore, when we go away together, we can switch hers on, and run my laptop and her tablet off of it
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    MarkT wrote: »
    Her HTC desire is also pretty neat as it can perform as it own wifi - therefore, when we go away together, we can switch hers on, and run my laptop and her tablet off of it

Are you saying it acts as a wireless broadband hub? I often tether my Nokia to my laptop when away but not heard of a mobile phone acting as a hub? If so, that's extraordinarily cool.

I have a 3G HTC Flyer so will have to check if that can do it too...
  • SarahJS
    SarahJS Registered Posts: 273 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Are you saying it acts as a wireless broadband hub? I often tether my Nokia to my laptop when away but not heard of a mobile phone acting as a hub? If so, that's extraordinarily cool.

The HTC desire acts as a wi-fi hotspot, so you can connect other things to the internet using the 3g internet of the phone. It might be relatively slow (definately not broadband speeds) but it was a lifesaver when I moved house and had no broadband for weeks :D
Privacy Policy