Mentor

Albot
Albot Registered Posts: 12 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi
There I am a new mip and could do with a Mentor, Im in the North East England and could do with some proffessioanl advise mainly on Ltd Companies.
Dealing with shares in a limited company is so confussing and I dont know what to advise my client !!!
Spoke to AAT and got no where !!

Comments

• stefanboro
    stefanboro Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi There,

I'm based in Middlesbrough - I don't know if I am competent enough to be a mentor but I could definately give a bit of advice. Send me a PM.

Stefan
  • Albot
    Thanks Stefan, will do my practice is actually next to Middlesbrough
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Hi Albot and Stefan

Apologises for being nosey but......................

I'm currently doing level 4 and have been an employee in practice a couple of years and am thinking about becoming a MiP once I've done level 4 and ATT (which I've only just started).

Anyway, I was just wondering about your route into MiP, i.e. how many years of experience did you have before you took the leap and how you managed the transition from employee to employer? Finally, have you come across any problems regarding not having ACCA, i.e. when clients go for mortgages, etc.
  • Albot
    I had no problem
    With mortgages they just ring to verify practice licence number , take the leap it's well worth it
    We came across few problems mainly knowing where to turn when your unsure
    AAT helpline does help but not with tax issues, the only complication I came across is ltd company accounts which
    In exams AAT it doesn't go in depth !!!!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    reader wrote: »
    Anyway, I was just wondering about your route into MiP, i.e. how many years of experience did you have before you took the leap and how you managed the transition from employee to employer? Finally, have you come across any problems regarding not having ACCA, i.e. when clients go for mortgages, etc.

Got headhunted as an admin girl/ bookkeeper.
    Did that 4 days a week and 1 day with my mentor training as an accountant.
    4 months later started AAT level 3.
    With mentor's help, started getting my own tax return clients.
    Started doing limited companies once I'd passed my level 4.
    Got MAAT and MIP 2 years later (simply because I'd not finished my ICAS report til then, could have gotten it after I'd done my exams).

7 years later I look back in horror that I was let loose on the general public, but I didn't know any better at the time and my mentor encouraged me (and indeed I couldn't have done it without him).

The AAT is not enough. Experience and/or ATT is thoroughly advised.

Mortgage refs not a problem. I have an ACCA friend who helps on the rare occasion a lender doesn't accept AAT.
Privacy Policy