AP2 Mock Exam Error?

ClarekayeClarekaye Trusted RegularPosts: 306Registered
I have in front of me the screen of the AP2 mock exam on the AAT website, the second one not the first.

I also have the answers printed out....

Section 2.3, the Jon & Pat question I am super confused, the question asks you to split 32000 profit 40:60 so i get 12800 & 19200

But the answers say 13850 & 18930 is this an error or am i missing something out? :001_unsure:

Comments

  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    I have in front of me the screen of the AP2 mock exam on the AAT website, the second one not the first.

    I also have the answers printed out....

    Section 2.3, the Jon & Pat question I am super confused, the question asks you to split 32000 profit 40:60 so i get 12800 & 19200

    But the answers say 13850 & 18930 is this an error or am i missing something out? :001_unsure:

    The answer is INCORRECT - the AAT answer works out to 43.28% and not 40% for the 40 part of the split :thumbdown::mad2:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    I have in front of me the screen of the AP2 mock exam on the AAT website, the second one not the first.

    I also have the answers printed out....

    Section 2.3, the Jon & Pat question I am super confused, the question asks you to split 32000 profit 40:60 so i get 12800 & 19200

    But the answers say 13850 & 18930 is this an error or am i missing something out? :001_unsure:

    Yes, you are :001_smile:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    KaySarah wrote: »
    The answer is INCORRECT - the AAT answer works out to 43.28% and not 40% for the 40 part of the split :thumbdown::mad2:

    Tut-tut :thumbdown:

    I'll explain in a minute - give you guys time to figure out why the AAT answersheet is correct :laugh:
  • MWAUGH1983MWAUGH1983 Trusted Regular Posts: 420Registered
    What I have learnt is that aat change the questions frequently so if you printed the answer last month then chances are sometime this month they will change it - maybe thats the reason?

    Though aat are renown for typos :)

    Martin
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    The part you missed out Claire is that one account was in debit and the other was in credit.

    So, after appropriation, these figure that are on the answer sheet are correct :001_smile:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    MWAUGH1983 wrote: »
    What I have learnt is that aat change the questions frequently so if you printed the answer last month then chances are sometime this month they will change it - maybe thats the reason?

    Though aat are renown for typos :)

    Martin

    The aat cba here has not changed - there is no typo in the answer
  • ClarekayeClarekaye Trusted Regular Posts: 306Registered
    Sorry its 2.4 but no I dont see where is says they are debit/credit...
  • ClarekayeClarekaye Trusted Regular Posts: 306Registered
    Ahhhh you have to use the figures below to get those figures, to then use them again in the balance sheet?!
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    Ahhhh you have to use the figures below to get those figures, to then use them again in the balance sheet?!

    Correct!! :thumbup:

    Its a typical AAT question where they make you keep moving up and down the page - but I must ask, have you been taught the use of the current account and appropriations yet?
  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    Tut-tut :thumbdown:

    I'll explain in a minute - give you guys time to figure out why the AAT answersheet is correct :laugh:

    was in the middle of set work SPSW Classwork last night - didn't have time for more than a cursory look at the post - or a quick reply.
    I only looked at exactly what Clarekay had written in her post .. not at the actual question, sincere apologies but I was doing a mock set by our absent unwell tutor :-(

    You see Mark .. I told you where your skills lie??
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    KaySarah wrote: »
    was in the middle of set work SPSW Classwork last night - didn't have time for more than a cursory look at the post - or a quick reply.
    I only looked at exactly what Clarekay had written in her post .. not at the actual question, sincere apologies but I was doing a mock set by our absent unwell tutor :-(

    You see Mark .. I told you where your skills lie??

    :001_tt2: I was just kidding - you had time to reply during an SPSW class???

    Hope Sandy gets better soon :001_smile:

    I know, but I still think I'd not be any good at it :scared:
  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    :001_tt2: I was just kidding - you had time to reply during an SPSW class???

    Hope Sandy gets better soon :001_smile:

    I know, but I still think I'd not be any good at it :scared:

    lol .. only during a short break! In future it's a case of RTFQ for me - instead of only answering the bit that was put up on the Post :blushing:

    I still think you'd be awesome at it ... Have faith in yourself Mark - we do.
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    KaySarah wrote: »
    I still think you'd be awesome at it ... Have faith in yourself Mark - we do.

    Are you by any chance trying to persuade him to teach........if so I agree he really would be brilliant, him and Sandy have got me through a lot.

    Jan :001_smile:
  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    janwal wrote: »
    Are you by any chance trying to persuade him to teach........if so I agree he really would be brilliant, him and Sandy have got me through a lot.

    Jan :001_smile:

    Very Perceptive Jan .. yes I am. He sees things so clearly and his replies are so succinct. I think he'd make a really good teacher. he has a gift for it :001_rolleyes:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    janwal wrote: »
    Are you by any chance trying to persuade him to teach........if so I agree he really would be brilliant, him and Sandy have got me through a lot.

    Jan :001_smile:
    Like many things though, I find it easy here as I have time to think about my answer :001_smile:
    KaySarah wrote: »
    Very Perceptive Jan .. yes I am. He sees things so clearly and his replies are so succinct. I think he'd make a really good teacher. he has a gift for it :001_rolleyes:
    Now you're just taking the mickey - succinct does not describe me - I broke twitter - could never get my message across in 140 or less :lol:
  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    Like many things though, I find it easy here as I have time to think about my answer :001_smile:

    Now you're just taking the mickey - succinct does not describe me - I broke twitter - could never get my message across in 140 or less :lol:

    Broke Twitter? Isn't that a site for people who don't know how to construct a complete sentence? :laugh: Never use it myself.
  • ClarekayeClarekaye Trusted Regular Posts: 306Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    Correct!! :thumbup:

    Its a typical AAT question where they make you keep moving up and down the page - but I must ask, have you been taught the use of the current account and appropriations yet?

    Yep, all the parts in the osborne books ap2, I like to think the only thing I am struggling on is mark ups and margins but only time will tell :-)

    Yes I agree with the others you are very polite, patient and have helped alot of people on here, you dont come across rude and you know your stuff!!
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    Thank you Ladies - Your comments are duly noted and I will add them to the 'consideration' list for once level 4 is out the way - do not think that they take on at this level right now :wink:
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    Thank you Ladies - Your comments are duly noted and I will add them to the 'consideration' list for once level 4 is out the way - do not think that they take on at this level right now :wink:

    That's ok we will give you plenty of parctice!!:lol:
  • ClarekayeClarekaye Trusted Regular Posts: 306Registered
    I have heard from various people not doing accounts but just in general Mark up & margins are harder to understand than work out...... but I understand them but cannot work them out :-(

    Am I really going to struggle with cost and revenues if I cannot get this right on AP2?

    Also out of interest how many attempts did it take you to pass your AP1s & AP2s?

    Thanks!
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    I know what you mean about mark up's and margins they I one of the things I am struggling with most.

    I haven't sat AP 2 yet, later this month but it took me 2 attempts to get through AP1, I felt a lot better second time round.

    Jan
  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    I have heard from various people not doing accounts but just in general Mark up & margins are harder to understand than work out...... but I understand them but cannot work them out :-(

    Am I really going to struggle with cost and revenues if I cannot get this right on AP2?

    Also out of interest how many attempts did it take you to pass your AP1s & AP2s?

    Thanks!

    Hi Clarekaye
    No you won't struggle with C&R if you haven't sussed AP2 yet. I have passed C&R and we haven't covered AP2 on our course yet. If you go back through this Forum you will pick up a lot of helpful advice from SandyHood's posts on C&R. Good Luck with it .. it just takes lots of revision, making sure you understand the formula and lots of practise. Our Class sweated blood & tears prior to the exam - and had a hugely successful pass rate - thanks to Sandy's wonderful teaching methods.:001_smile:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    Clarekaye wrote: »
    I have heard from various people not doing accounts but just in general Mark up & margins are harder to understand than work out...... but I understand them but cannot work them out :-(

    Am I really going to struggle with cost and revenues if I cannot get this right on AP2?

    Also out of interest how many attempts did it take you to pass your AP1s & AP2s?

    Thanks!

    As has already been said, knowing how to to markup and margins is not going have an effect on CRS - do not confuse the term Marginal costing either - its a phrase that has a different context :001_smile:

    I passed both AP 1 & 2 first time, but then again, I did have a year of doing purely bookkeeping last year so I attribute a lot of my success to this - I may not have been so lucky had I have sat level 2.
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    janwal wrote: »
    I know what you mean about mark up's and margins they I one of the things I am struggling with most.

    I haven't sat AP 2 yet, later this month but it took me 2 attempts to get through AP1, I felt a lot better second time round.

    Jan

    You'll be just fine in AP2 - keep hitting the test CBA's - also, print the answers out and write key notes next to each answer as to why each answer comes out the way it does and you'll have it all fine tuned and tweaked in no time :wink:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    KaySarah wrote: »
    Hi Clarekaye
    No you won't struggle with C&R if you haven't sussed AP2 yet. I have passed C&R and we haven't covered AP2 on our course yet. If you go back through this Forum you will pick up a lot of helpful advice from SandyHood's posts on C&R. Good Luck with it .. it just takes lots of revision, making sure you understand the formula and lots of practise. Our Class sweated blood & tears prior to the exam - and had a hugely successful pass rate - thanks to Sandy's wonderful teaching methods.:001_smile:

    The man is a legend - I often wanted to ask about how he worked the ironing task into his lesson???
  • janwaljanwal Experienced Mentor Posts: 1,189Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    The man is a legend - I often wanted to ask about how he worked the ironing task into his lesson???

    He certainly is.....does he do CMGT as well!!! Too far to cummute to Chichester :crying:
  • MarkTMarkT Trusted Regular Posts: 302Registered
    janwal wrote: »
    He certainly is.....does he do CMGT as well!!! Too far to cummute to Chichester :crying:

    I think he's an all-rounder, its a bit of a drive for me, but it would certainly be well worth the trip to sit in on one of his classes just to see the man in action
  • KaySarahKaySarah Well-Known Posts: 215Registered
    MarkT wrote: »
    The man is a legend - I often wanted to ask about how he worked the ironing task into his lesson???

    lol ..Labour Costing .. .How long it takes him to iron each of his shirts (6minutes) .. would it be better to pay on piece work or hourly rate? :laugh:

    and Yes - He is Legend! We are so lucky to have him! :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.