Unbelievable???????!!!!!!!!!

Options
T.C.
T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I have just had an enquiry from a prospective new client. He has had 3 years accounts drawn up by "an unqualified person" and needs them approved by a "qualified person" for his mortgage company. Fair enough. However, then he informs me that these are only made up figures to get a mortgage and that he did not submit these accounts to the tax office - they had different figures. Could I just sign them off as "good" for him.
He was quite surprised when I said I couldn't help! Unbelievable! ??

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    T.C. wrote: »
    I have just had an enquiry from a prospective new client. He has had 3 years accounts drawn up by "an unqualified person" and needs them approved by a "qualified person" for his mortgage company. Fair enough. However, then he informs me that these are only made up figures to get a mortgage and that he did not submit these accounts to the tax office - they had different figures. Could I just sign them off as "good" for him.
    He was quite surprised when I said I couldn't help! Unbelievable! ??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Options
    Might want to warn them about the risks!:

https://twitter.com/#!/MichaelTJames/status/179156793598033921
  • Monsoon
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Quite.

Having finished laughing my socks off at the sheer brass/ stupidity of some people, I would have been inclined to reply along the lines of "What you are proposing is fraud and, as much, I'm sure you understand that I would not get involved with that."
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yes, can think of lots of things I should have said in hindsight, but I was so taken aback with the suggestion, I was simply speechless!
  • jamesm96
    Options
    T.C. wrote: »
    Yes, can think of lots of things I should have said in hindsight, but I was so taken aback with the suggestion, I was simply speechless!

Yeah I usually find that I come up with the wittiest, most scathing retorts whilst I'm talking to myself after the event!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Yeah I usually find that I come up with the wittiest, most scathing retorts whilst I'm talking to myself after the event!
    It's always the way!
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'd have charged £500..

..shhhhh!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Are you sure this shouldn't be in the jokes thread? :lol:

Sometimes I'm quite happy not to work in a practice anymore, but I do miss silly customers like this!
  • jamesm96
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    Are you sure this shouldn't be in the jokes thread? :lol:

Sometimes I'm quite happy not to work in a practice anymore, but I do miss silly customers like this!

I had a great one last week...

...Client phoned irate that they'd received a late payment demand for their £6k personal tax payment because we'd never told them about the payment.

I looked on our communications system and saw that we wrote with a detailed letter explaining the payment in July and they said 'no, we didn't get that letter'.

'I'm terribly sorry', I said, 'but you've sent us back the signed tax return that was enclosed in the letter, perhaps you threw it out with the envelope?'

'No, I've definitely never seen the letter, you must have forgotten to put the letter in the envelope which seems like a very stupid mistake to me'.

Again I said 'I'm terribly sorry, but we used windowed envelopes here, if the letter wasn't in it and it was just the tax return it would never have gotten to you'.

'No.' They said. 'We have absolutely never seen this letter...'

'Okay' I said. 'May I ask, did you also not receive the payment reminder letter that we sent to you in November?

Good ol' clients.
Privacy Policy