Employment conditions

Hi all,

I'm looking to build up a bit of a picture of employment conditions among other firms and I wonder if I could call on my fellow forum contributors to help me? I suspect it might be something that quite a few on here may find very interesting.

I'm interested primarily in those of you who either work in / run an accounting practice, though please feel free to contribute if you're employed in industry too. What I'm specifically interested in is:

1. The number of days paid holiday entitlement per year (exc. bank holidays)
2. Whether you're offered flexible working arrangements (and what you're allowed)
3. Any 'perks' you receive (such as health insurance or pensions... etc)
4. Your company's sick-pay policy (i.e. whether you get any paid sick days... etc)
5. Any bonus arrangements / performance incentives offered
6. Anything else that your employer does, or which you do in your own firm, which has helped your employees to feel particularly valued and improve morale and team performance.

I realise this might all be quite sensitive stuff that some might not want to talk about. If it's of interest to many then perhaps I'll have to do some sort of a Monsoon-esque anonymous survey.

For the moment, your input is very much appreciated.

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    jamesm96 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm looking to build up a bit of a picture of employment conditions among other firms and I wonder if I could call on my fellow forum contributors to help me? I suspect it might be something that quite a few on here may find very interesting.

I'm interested primarily in those of you who either work in / run an accounting practice, though please feel free to contribute if you're employed in industry too. What I'm specifically interested in is:

WORK IN INDUSTRY

1. The number of days paid holiday entitlement per year (exc. bank holidays) - 20
    2. Whether you're offered flexible working arrangements (and what you're allowed) - NONE
    3. Any 'perks' you receive (such as health insurance or pensions... etc) - NONE
    4. Your company's sick-pay policy (i.e. whether you get any paid sick days... etc) - SSP, OR IF ONLY A DAY SICK - FULL PAY
    5. Any bonus arrangements / performance incentives offered - NONE
    6. Anything else that your employer does, or which you do in your own firm, which has helped your employees to feel particularly valued and improve morale and team performance.

I realise this might all be quite sensitive stuff that some might not want to talk about. If it's of interest to many then perhaps I'll have to do some sort of a Monsoon-esque anonymous survey.

For the moment, your input is very much appreciated.

See my answers above, I have got to learn how to use this forum properly!
  • jamesm96
    jamesm96 Registered Posts: 523
    Thanks Pamdill... what a quick response! Are you employed in practice?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    All that sounds like heaven to me - I am self-employed!
  • jamesm96
    T.C. wrote: »
    All that sounds like heaven to me - I am self-employed!

But you pay less N.I! ;)

Do you employ anyone?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    1. Statutory entitlement
    2. Yes. Staff are part time and can work when suits, I'm very flexible:)
    3. Not really. Lots of tea? And sometimes breakfast from the canteen :lol:
    4. SSP
    5. No, but I do pay bonuses occasionally when warranted
    6. You'd have to ask them! I think they appreciate the flexible working arrangement, and hopefully that I'm fairly laid back. I don't like putting any stress on anyone.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    In reference to the three firms I worked for before setting up my own practice:

1. 20 / 20 / 20
    2. No / No / No
    3. None / Bupa medical and pension matching scheme / None
    4. Pay whilst sick is discretionary but every firm I have worked for has always paid in full when sick.
    5. No / Management bonus based on recovery and efficiency (rarely met!) / No
    6. Christmas do, summer BBQ (until softball got too competitive), that's about it!
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Thanks Pamdill... what a quick response! Are you employed in practice?

Industry, I thought I had marked that at the top. Sorry
  • jamesm96
    PAMDILL wrote: »
    Industry, I thought I had marked that at the top. Sorry

You did. In capital letters, in fact. Only an idiot would have failed to see it.

:huh:
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I work in a small practice.
    Hi all,

2. Whether you're offered flexible working arrangements (and what you're allowed)
    Here's what is fab, I work 26 hours but can work from home etc during school holidays and can make time up, also get paid for the hours that I do rather than contracted hours.
    None but above makes up for everything!
    4. Your company's sick-pay policy (i.e. whether you get any paid sick days... etc)
    No sick pay but able to make up hours, however in 10 years I've only had 2 days off!
    None
    I'm appreciated, it makes all the difference
  • katz568
    katz568 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    1. The number of days paid holiday entitlement per year (exc. bank holidays) 20

2. Whether you're offered flexible working arrangements (and what you're allowed) Yep flexi time, plus anything we work over our normal hours we can have off as time in lou

3. Any 'perks' you receive (such as health insurance or pensions... etc) We have a small gym in work which we all have access too.

4. Your company's sick-pay policy (i.e. whether you get any paid sick days... etc) 10days a year, any others are paid as ssp

5. Any bonus arrangements / performance incentives offered No

Edited to add that I work in practice

Christmas night out, self assessment night out, occassional cakes, knowing we are all appreciated and a relaxed atmosphere.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I work in industry:

The company offers flexible hours in contract, but our flexible working hours are that I am allowed to work from 8 to 4 instead of 9 to half 5, but not allowed to make adjustments to these hours without further permission, furthermore I am the only one who got these hours (I don't know why, but when I started as a temp these hours were agreed and I just never changed them) and all the rest has been told to cover till 5 at least, so quite a few work from 8 till 5 instead.

Next to that we now have to cover at most two nights per week till 8 o'clock, which is called flexible hours. It means I start working at 12 and just go home at 8. It currently works out as 1 night every two weeks, but the company calls this flexible hours, but there is nothing flexible about it from an employee point of view.

We're not allowed to work from home, unless you are a senior manager/ director.
    Part time working is not allowed, unless the company only requires a part timer.
    We're not allowed to make up the hours and leave early on another day, unless we asked permission, which you only get for special circumstances or for doctor's visits, but even then begrudgingly.

We've got a pension arrangement where the company matches up to 3%.
    My study costs are being paid for by the company, with a payback arrangement.

Sick pay is on the discretion of the manager, which mostly means no sick pay.

The company uses the bradford score to track sickleave and if you get a score over 64 you will most likely get a disciplinarily hearing about it.

Not for regular employees but last year we got a bonus of 250 at year end. That was the first time. Management has a bonus agreement in place and so far only once they haven't received one.

Nope, although I do tend to bring in cakes often, but as I'm just a minion that doesn't really count. It's mainly to have at least something to look forward to during working hours, as I don't enjoy being there.

Our staff is very demotivated and our management either knows and doesn't care or is completely ignorant of any of this, but mainly they just don't seem to care and operate under the policy due to the current recession, it is cheaper to replace staff then to give them a raise.

Oooooo that sounds soooo negative now. Let's hope they don't read it, or maybe they should and realise that this is not a long term solution...

Sorry, bit longer story than I meant it to be :)
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Interesting thread! I work in a small practice - just the owner, me, and a part time colleague since the middle of last year.

1. The number of days paid holiday entitlement per year (exc. bank holidays) 20

2. Whether you're offered flexible working arrangements (and what you're allowed) My boss is great if I ever need time off. At first he wasn't overly bothered about me making it up either if it was only the odd hour or so, but that was back when we were much quieter. Now I tend to work through my lunch break if ever I need to leave early. In return the odd few nights we have to stay late, he knows I'm prepared to do that, it's all give and take really.

3. Any 'perks' you receive (such as health insurance or pensions... etc) No

4. Your company's sick-pay policy (i.e. whether you get any paid sick days... etc) I've only ever had the odd one or two days off, and did get paid in full, as I'm on a salary rather than hourly paid. My bank got me to ask how long I'd be paid for if I went on long term sick (so they could try to sell me critical illness insurance!) and he said we'd cross that bridge if we came to it!

5. Any bonus arrangements / performance incentives offered No

6. Anything else that your employer does, or which you do in your own firm, which has helped your employees to feel particularly valued and improve morale and team performance. As above, just being generally nice and making the working atmosphere nice, and knowing we are appreciated.
  • clegganator
    clegganator Registered Posts: 184 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    1. 26+ bank holidays. (Didn't realise how good that was!)
    2. Flexitime. As long as my hours total what they should for the week, I can come in and go early and stay later.
    3. BUPA offered, free canteen and postage within reason.
    4. Never been sick so not sure!
    5. A share of commission the company receives on recommending someone to use our pension/insurance/advisor.
    6. Study support and easy going atmosphere.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

29 days plus the jubilee this year

flexible hours, ie 8 - 4 or 9 - 5

pension, health insurance, training

4 weeks full then 8 weeks half pay, (rolling 2 years)

no

team building days, away days etc, although I'd rather be left in my natural habitat in front of excel...
Privacy Policy