ICAS Project Nightmare!

Col Snaders
Col Snaders Registered Posts: 14 Regular contributor ⭐
I have thoroughly enjoyed the qualification so far but I have been dreading this project since I started L2!

I informed my tutor months ago that I didn't think I would be able to complete the project based on my work place and requested a case study. I was told to go away and think about it (I have been for ages)! I spoke to my boss and they thought we could figure something out, as they did it years ago.

I spoke to my tutor today, a week after I should have and only because I asked for help. I was informed that I could not base a project around my proposal and that I should go away and think about it. As stated above I have been for ages! I have asked for a case study again but I have to think about it for a few more days. I understand that the project can be completed quite quickly when it is started but at the moment I have no project proposal and my first draft is due in in 3 weeks.

I'm not sure how anyone is going to help but I'm so angry/upset I could cry!

Comments

• uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    You don't have to do a project based on your work place. If you feel more confident doing one based on a case study then request a case study. If you have already thought about this and made your decision then then your training provider must accept this.

I didn't feel it was appropriate for me to use my workplace as a basis for my project for personal reasons. I also felt that it would be easier for me to be objective if reviewing a fictional organisation.

Have you looked at the sample case studies on MY AAT? Have a look through as they may prompt an idea of the sort of things you could discuss if given a case study. I also STRONGLY advise that you get a copy of the BPP ICAS tutorial and read through the case study in there. You will find it very helpful.

It will be OK. Really it will. Call your tutor tomorrow and say you feel that you have taken up valuable time "thinking" and would like to get started so please could they order you the case study material and get it uploaded on to learnplus. Just remember that you do have to pay for the case study, and that unlike the work based project you are restriced to completing the case study in 16 weeks ( you have longer for work based)

Out of interest, who do you study with ?
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I was informed that I could not base a project around my proposal and that I should go away and think about it.

That's annoying.................why are they not letting you do a project your employer wants? Would it be possible to find out why and make the necessay ammendments/modifications?

By the way, the planning/proposal stage is the hardest, once you get started and "in the zone" things will get easier.

Good luck
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I don't understand either why you can't do a case study? I didn't want to do the project on on my place of work, as I didn't feel it would be appropriate to pull our systems apart, and would not be able to analyse it objectively.Sometimes when you are working, its difficult to take a step back, and see the bigger picture, whereas with the case study you are given lots of information. I did the Inkwell case, and found it interesting, also I used the Osborne book, which was very helpful.
    Good luck,
    GP
  • Col Snaders
    The problem with my initial project proposal was that there wasn't enough risks and potential fraud apparently.

I emailed my tutor the next day and explained that I couldn't think of anything else to add to it/amend it so I have been set up with a case study. I feel so much better to finally have something to work with!
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Brilliant!
    The project relies on analysing and finding lots of current/potential problem areas, with a big emphasis on fraud - and then working out solutions, so a case study should cover all the possible situations.
    Enjoy!
  • Col Snaders
    I have received my case study and read through it 3 times. Whilst I understand the scenario I don't see how it has anymore problems than my initial idea.

The other problem I have is I don't understand what I am required to do? I have identified a few problems but I don't understand what is required from me? I have read the guidance notes about 10 times but I still don't understand!

I have seen 2 previous projects from past years that are based on the company I work for, they contain detailed explainations about what the accounting function does. Is this what I should be doing for my case study as all I can write about is the brief information I have been given?

This has stressed me out so much I really don't want to do it and I'm starting to think that it isn't worth it!
  • anniebabe
    anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi Col
    Just wanted to say - the way you are feeling re icas - dont feel like you are on your own - I know for a fact that there are a few in my class including myself that are struggling with it.
    I bought a book to try and help, and i keep looking at it expecting a miracle to happen - and it hasnt yet.
    Keep your chin up, and as for is it worth it - well only you can answer that one.
  • Col Snaders
    I know I'm not the only one but report writing is not my strong point, I somehow managed to blag my way through GCSE English at school!

I won't give up as I only have 2 exams remaining now but I can't believe how stressed this has made me!

I have another question with regards to writing the project... If I was basing the project on my work I would have to describe the system and expalin how I would improve it (the assesor would have no idea of the background of the project).

As I am using the case study do I do exactly that? Assume I am in that position and the assesor has no idea of the business I am in? I guess what I am asking is will they read the case study and decided what I should have chosen to base my report on?

So confused!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    I know I'm not the only one but report writing is not my strong point, I somehow managed to blag my way through GCSE English at school!

I won't give up as I only have 2 exams remaining now but I can't believe how stressed this has made me!

I have another question with regards to writing the project... If I was basing the project on my work I would have to describe the system and expalin how I would improve it (the assesor would have no idea of the background of the project).

As I am using the case study do I do exactly that? Assume I am in that position and the assesor has no idea of the business I am in? I guess what I am asking is will they read the case study and decided what I should have chosen to base my report on?

So confused!

You should assume that your assessor has not read the case study (like you say, if it was work based they wouldn't know all the ins and outs of everything) They certainly shouldn't be telling you what to base your report on. After you've read the case study you should find that there are several areas that you could choose and you just need to choose one of them. Then you analyse the system as it is at the moment, say what the current controls are and assess the possibilities for fraud and error then you need to make recommendations to improve the system.
Privacy Policy