Any ideas on exam markings?

Options
mirelao
mirelao Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
I had my final exam – financial performance- on Fri the 29/03. I came out of the exam buzzing, feeling positive about it as I thought I've done relatively well.

However, I have been waking up ever since in the middle of the night going over the exam questions in my head. Initially I thought I've done well but now I think I messed up the last task.
I cannot remember the exact question but the task required comparison, explanation of profit margins for the 2 scenarios provided based on specific costs, had to find the dominant factor and make recommendations.

When I've seen the task I was happy as I dreaded the writing tasks but I remembered practising a similar task on a past exam paper and as I was racing against time I didn't pay much attention to details.

Now I think that adjustments of costs based on some additional info provided at the beginning of the task (which would have changed the profit margins) were required before making comments on the margins, which I haven't done. I based my comments on the figures and margins already calculated by AAT.

Question 1
If that is the case, anybody has any ideas if I would get any marks whatsoever on the comments made on profit margins without accounting for the possible changes (assuming my comments were correct in themselves based on the original figures) ??

Question 2
Assuming that most the other exam tasks are answered correctly, does anybody have the slightest idea if I was to fail this task (which is a major one in section 2) would it cost me the whole section and ultimately the whole exam?

I am so mad with myself as I would have known how to make the adjustments and comments if I would have read the task properly and not have rushed into it! :((

Mirela

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I've been through AAT & ACCA with myself and others trying to guess results. Its always been a pointless exercise!

They never take points off you for something you've done, you'll pick points up for calculations and comments you've made even if the end result is totally wrong.

Don't stress yourself trying to figure it out, just enjoy the exam being over! :D
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    Dear mirelao

I agree. Forget it. It is over and the marking is someone else's problem. Enjoy your life.

Dear anyone else preparing for an exam read this regret and learn from it:

[size=+2] if I would have read the task properly and not have rushed into it![/size]

Yours

Sandy
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • mirelao
    Options
    You're right, I'll try my best to forget about it for the next 5 weeks. :)
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    SandyHood wrote: »
    Dear mirelao

I agree. Forget it. It is over and the marking is someone else's problem. Enjoy your life.

Sandy

:001_smile: :001_smile: Its always refreshing sandy to hear a tutor say that! THANKS ha :001_smile: :001_smile:

Though in personal experience; when I have felt I have done badly and past I feel better about the whole thing than if I felt I did well and past! Suppose its more of a challenge and better sense of achievement! Though forget the whole thing and wait till it comes - where not even have a drink and toast it that whatever happens you nearly have the AAT - say iy slowly "AAT Q.U.A.L.I.F.I.E.D" :) You know it makes sense!
  • mirelao
    Options
    Great news, I received my exam results (after only 4 weeks of waiting!) and I have passed!! Yeey! Massive relief!
    I was wondering if I can request my exam feedback / markings?

If you have any exams coming up Good luck!

x
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Congratulations Mirelao!
    Ask your tutor for your feedback report - they make interesting reading!
    GP
  • jenny3549
    jenny3549 Registered Posts: 472 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    guinea pig wrote: »
    Congratulations Mirelao!
    Ask your tutor for your feedback report - they make interesting reading!
    GP

Congratulations seconded by me!

GP - don't know anything about the feedback report - is this something that you have to pay for? Also, is it only something that you get if you study through a college. I'm distance learning with Kaplan so don't know if I can do this?

I had my FNPF yesterday and might well need the feedback!
  • guinea pig
    Options
    Hi Jenny,
    I'm studying at a college, and our tutor has provided our feedback reports, at no charge. The file path at the bottom of the sheet looks as though its for a secure access area, which I guess only our tutors can get to - ask the AAT.
    Basically, the exams are broken down into about 8 areas, then listed; Exceeded, Met, Borderline, or Did not meet, referring to the minimum requirements, so it helps highlight where extra revision is needed, if re-taken.
    However - think positive! its a shame its such a long wait for results.
    GP
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Thanks GP. I am going to think positive. Think I just felt a bit panicked when I came out!

Just got to figure out what the hell to do about the ICAS project now. Not got a clue how to go about it as Kaplan won't let me do a case study as I really can't see how I can do a work based one. What did you do?
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    jenny3549 wrote: »
    Kaplan won't let me do a case study as I really can't see how I can do a work based one.

Hello Jenny

Can I ask why Kaplan won't let you do a case study? Is it not the decision of the student whether they undertake a case study or complete the project as a work based project?
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • guinea pig
    Options
    Hi Jenny,
    Although I work in a finance office, I opted to do a case study, as I thought that this would ensure that I covered all the areas that AAT would be wanting to test; mainly the understanding of internal controls, how they relate to each other, and the safeguarding against fraud. It also saved me the time I would have spent worrying about choosing a subject etc etc. so I could get straight on with it! I found the project interesting, I took quite a bit of time reading it through several times firstly, making notes, then building up a SWOT analysis, organisation plan, and looking at the various roles, and how they inter-acted. I used the Osborne book, which was very helpful.
    Good luck,
    GP
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options

[size=+2] if I would have read the task properly and not have ruunshed into it![/size]

This could have been written for me Sandy :001_smile:
  • jenny3549
    Options
    Jo Clark wrote: »
    Hello Jenny

Can I ask why Kaplan won't let you do a case study? Is it not the decision of the student whether they undertake a case study or complete the project as a work based project?

Hi Jo,

That's what I thought but they have told me I have to do a work based one. I really didn't want to do this since I've been in my job for 10 years so I've already improved all the areas I possibly can so I don't see how I can write the project.

I've only got ICAS left (assuming I passed FNPF, fingers crossed) so I'm a tad upset at the moment. I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do now. Kaplan's (unhelpful) suggestion was to ask my manager if he had any ideas on areas to look at - my MD has absolutely no understanding of the finances despite years of trying to get him interested so that's a non-starter.

I'm beginning to see why so many people do all the exams and then never complete the AAT!

Thanks again GP. I thought I would be able to do a case study like you did. Who was your provider for the project?
  • stockport
    stockport Registered Posts: 15 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi guinea pig,

Does the Osborne Book have any example of how the report should be writen? I'm struggling to get started on this.

Thanks,

stockport
  • nicd1981
    nicd1981 Registered Posts: 243 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Guys

the osbourne book has two sample projects at the back , it also has information on each of the sections that you will need to put in to your project

If it helps i have a project template that i could send you, this may give you a basic layout that you can add to or change

Good luck

nic xx
    Nicola Donnelly ,MAAT, MIP, CIMA Dip MA

Email: donnellynicola7@gmail.com
    Facbook Page: MEND Accounting
    Blog: http://wannabeanaccountant.blogspot.co.uk
    Twitter: @mendaccounting
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Hello All

I still have ICAS to complete and thought I would share what happened this weekend!

On Saturday the postman delivered a letter from AAT, I wondered what it was about! Upon opening the letter I was really pleased to receive a booklet from AAT called Internal Controls and Accounting Systems - A Guide to Writing Your Report.

I had not requested this so not sure why it was sent but am really pleased it has been. I am sure I will find this very helpful when I start ICAS next month.

I have only had a brief look through the document as I have another module to complete before I start ICAS, however there does seem to be a lot of useful information, hints/tips and a task timetable.

The document also makes reference to the online learning resources in MyAAT.

If any of you who are currently studying ICAS or are due to start this module, you may wish to contact AAT to obtain a copy.

Hope this information is of help.

JC :o
    Benjamin Franklin
  • nicd1981
    Options
    Hi Jo

I got this too, ive already completed my project though, made amendments last night and im hoping itll be signed off this week

One of my amendments was to amend my ''scouse slang'' haha I really didnt realise i wrote like that!

Anyway goodluck Jo

nic x

• Jo Clark
    Options
    Thanks Nic :)

Good luck with your remaining modules. I studied PTX and really enjoyed it, sat the exam week before last. Will be doing BTX as my other optional paper.

Hope your project is signed off soon.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • nicd1981
    Options
    Hi Jo

Is that alll you have left? ICAS and BTX?
    Well done! and goodluck

xx

Nic xx

• Jo Clark
    Options
    Hello Nic

Yes, that is all, providing I have passed PTX :)

Thanks for the good luck - I'll need it over the next few months as I will be learning a new job whilst studying and completing the project.... I will succeed though!

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
  • nicd1981
    Options
    I like the way you think!!

Nic xx

• mirelao
    Options

[size=+2] if I would have read the task properly and not have ruunshed into it![/SIZE]

This could have been written for me Sandy :001_smile:

Dear katsutlieff,

I got my exam feedback as I was keen to check on the task that I had doubts about (wasn't sure I've read the question properly) and I was pleased to see that I actually exceeded in the task.
    Yes, it's true that we rush into tasks for fear of running out of time but what I've learnt from it now is don't beat yourself up until you get the results.

For whoever is interested to get exam feedback, once you get your results call your course provider / college / tutor and they will just post it to you free of charge, it's a very straight forward process.

Good luck if you're waiting for exam results.

Mirela
Privacy Policy